Huge model space and ram

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

aoc
Newbie Member

Huge model space and ram

Post by aoc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:14 am

When I open my file it opens in a huge model space and uses a lot of ram.
See image

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... fbYJSk.jpg

The file I want to work on is circled.

When I start QCad it is under 6MB, but with this file, which is large at 74MB DXF, (but saved with QCad, it is about 51MB), it uses about 540 MB of ram. It takes a long time to load, and is very slow to zoom in.
In other applications, such as AutoCad, or Bentley Viewer and similar, it loads to look like this;

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... NpVDJH.jpg

The drawing is a Local Government Authority with all roads, property boundaries and parking signs and lines. I do know that this drawing has been worked on by some that have been using it to teach themselves AutoCad, and have not had a good understanding of what they are doing. Therefore they have even drawn parking signs in curves rather than making them blocks and perhaps using xref, though I think I read that QCad doesn't sit well with xref.
I'm a newbie at this as well, but it looks fairly easy to draw or cut and paste simple stuff like parking signs etc, and hopefully list the assets at some point.
The problem is that this is a large file that opens up looking like a tiny object in a huge model space, and is very laggy. It takes 10 to 15 seconds to select a tool, though this improves after I have zoomed right in, but it takes a lifetime to zoom in.
I tried changing the default drawing setting from meters to millimeters to match the default app settings, saving and reopening, but it made no difference.
Can anyone help?

System;
Intel Core 2 Duo 4300 1.80GHz w 2GB ram

Ubuntu 9.10

aoc
Newbie Member

Post by aoc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:20 am

A day and a half now and nobody has anything to offer?

OK, does anybody know of some linux cad software that actually works?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:32 am

aoc: you might indeed have to look for an alternative if you have very complex / large drawings that don't perform well with the QCAD community edition. Performance problems are not just easily fixed. We are working on improving the performance for QCAD 3 though (scheduled for later this year).

aoc
Newbie Member

Post by aoc » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:26 pm

Are you inferring that the paid version may work ok?
The paid version is not very expensive, but I don't want to keep throwing money around in the hope of finding something I can use.
I have downloaded version 2.2.2.o-1. Do I need to uninstall the community edition to try it?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 pm

aoc wrote:Are you inferring that the paid version may work ok?
Although QCAD Pro might perform slightly better, it will likely not be suitable for such a large file.
aoc wrote:The paid version is not very expensive, but I don't want to keep throwing money around in the hope of finding something I can use.
I have downloaded version 2.2.2.o-1. Do I need to uninstall the community edition to try it?
No need to uninstall. They can co-exist. Make sure that you are running the intended version (check in menu Help - About)

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”