Can I run community edition in osx?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

stik69
Registered Member

Can I run community edition in osx?

Post by stik69 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:36 pm

Very, very new to mac. I like very much what I see in the qcad demo. Can the community edition be run in osx? If so, where can I find step-by-step instructions (I'm talking very basic here) after I download it?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Can I run community edition in osx?

Post by andrew » Fri May 04, 2007 9:19 am

I'm afraid but compiling sources is usually not the best solution for new users. In a nutshell, you will have to install XCode, download / compile Qt 3.3.x, set up the QTDIR environment variable, download the QCad sources and run scripts/build_qcad.sh.
stik69 wrote:Very, very new to mac. I like very much what I see in the qcad demo. Can the community edition be run in osx? If so, where can I find step-by-step instructions (I'm talking very basic here) after I download it?

jalex
Registered Member

Re: Can I run community edition in osx?

Post by jalex » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:43 am

It wouldn't be so bad if it actually compiled on OSX, as-is. If you want to compile on the mac, here's one way to get started (read to bottom):

1. Install qt3-mac from Darwin ports. You'll get an error when installing because the port has an issue where you have to set export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH like below.
$ sudo -s
$ export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/iWeb.app/Contents/Frameworks/SFRendering.framework/Versions/A/SharedFrameworks/AppleAppSupport.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources
$ port install qt3-mac.
2. Set the QTDIR variable and refresh your profile
$ echo "export QTDIR=/opt/local" >> ~/.bash_profile
$ . ~/.bash_profile
3. Now try to run the build script (./build_qcad.sh)

At this point, you should see errors starting like this:
"
/opt/local/include/qt3/qglobal.h:731: error: ISO C++ does not support 'long long'
/opt/local/include/qt3/qglobal.h:732: error: ISO C++ does not support 'long long'
/opt/local/include/qt3/qstring.h:435: error: 'QString QString::arg(Q_LLONG, int, int) const' and 'QString QString::arg(long int, int, int) const' cannot be overloaded
"

According to the link (http://lists.gobolinux.org/pipermail/go ... 04532.html) others have seen this issue with (2.0.5.0) qcad community edition from source.

It's very possible QT 3.3.4 would work, if you got the source and installed that. QT does a poor job of maintaining backward compatibility, in my experience.

Since it has a GPL license, find a programmer to fix it and submit the patches back to the qcad author or post the patches on the forum.

-J
andrew wrote:I'm afraid but compiling sources is usually not the best solution for new users. In a nutshell, you will have to install XCode, download / compile Qt 3.3.x, set up the QTDIR environment variable, download the QCad sources and run scripts/build_qcad.sh.
stik69 wrote:Very, very new to mac. I like very much what I see in the qcad demo. Can the community edition be run in osx? If so, where can I find step-by-step instructions (I'm talking very basic here) after I download it?

michael
Site Admin

Post by michael » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:06 am

Or simply buy a QCad Professional version.

Is simply the best easiest and cheap solution here.

8)

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”