New version of CAM Expert?

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to CAM Expert Professional.

Moderator: andrew

loboy
Newbie Member

New version of CAM Expert?

Post by loboy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Any word on a new version of CAM Expert that will run on OS 10.7 Lion? Thanks.

Clive

Re: New version of CAM Expert?

Post by Clive » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:26 pm

loboy wrote:Any word on a new version of CAM Expert that will run on OS 10.7 Lion? Thanks.
I think at the moment all efforts are concentrated on pushing the QCAD 3 final release, after that there are plans to release a new version of CAM Expert based on QCAD 3
sometime in the future - see here on the last update of the Ribbonsoft Blog:
http://www.qcad.org/en/.

loboy
Newbie Member

Post by loboy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:58 pm

I would really love to know if and when a new CamExpert will be released.

Due to some other software I have, I would like to make the move to OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. CamExpert has become somewhat of fixture in my machining tool chain, and since Mountain Lion will no longer run PPC code without Rosetta, CamExpert will cease to run. This means I will have to retire CamExpert and move elsewhere.

Is anyone generating g-code on OS X, and what are you using?

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:12 pm

loboy wrote:I would really love to know if and when a new CamExpert will be released.

Due to some other software I have, I would like to make the move to OS 10.8 Mountain Lion. CamExpert has become somewhat of fixture in my machining tool chain, and since Mountain Lion will no longer run PPC code without Rosetta, CamExpert will cease to run. This means I will have to retire CamExpert and move elsewhere.

Is anyone generating g-code on OS X, and what are you using?
As stated on the blog a new version of CamExpert will definitely be released, as to when - Andrew is best placed to advise about this and on your other queries.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm

A new version of CAM Expert (or rather a CAM add-on for QCAD 3) is planned. What we have at the moment is a simple, configurable G-Code export with path optimization for shortest path. More features will be added as time and resources allow and if there is a demand for it. I cannot be very specific on a release date. Our simple G-Code export can be made available very short-term if there is any interest for it. A CAM add-on which offers similar functionality like CAM Expert (sorting by layer, layer attributes, cut small contours first, etc) will hopefully be available later this year.

RogerJoensson
Registered Member

Post by RogerJoensson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:52 am

Personally I would be happy just to be able to output the path (in G-code) in the order I drew it on one single layer. Can this be done soon?
(in QCAD 3...)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:32 am

RogerJoensson wrote:Personally I would be happy just to be able to output the path (in G-code) in the order I drew it on one single layer. Can this be done soon?
Yes, we do have that available as an add-on for QCAD 3.

The G-code output is configurable and we also have optional path optimization.

Without path optimization, the drawing is exported in drawing order which can be controlled by the order in which entities are drawn or through the 'drawing order' property in the property editor or using the modification tools "Send to Back" or "Bring to Front".

Please contact me by e-mail or private message with the following details:
- Operating system and version thereof you are using.
- If possible, please attach an example of the required G-Code output for your machine.
- An example for an input file you are typically processing would also be helpful.

zak

Post by zak » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:43 pm

Just thought I'd bump this thread since I do not see anywhere to purchase CAM Expert, which of course makes me wonder if there is a new version yet.

Thanks, Zak

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Since the last status update in September 2012 (see post above), machine configuration specific options and layer specific options (e.g. cutting depth per layer) have been added.

I hope to release another development snapshot of QCAD 3 along with a CAM add-on in the coming days.

srl

Post by srl » Wed May 15, 2013 12:57 am

HI
I use Qcad3 to design Depron model aircraft with demo Cam Expert to output the gcode for my hobby CNC mill.
Really looking forward to the addon, so I just did another Qcad purchase.
I also draw my rapid moves between cuts so if I could write a script to produce gcode from a selected contour it would be great.

srl

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri May 17, 2013 11:25 pm

A new version of QCAD with CAM add-on is now available:

Please see here for more information:
http://www.qcad.org/en/what-is-qcad-cam

You can order QCAD Professional or QCAD/CAM from our Online Shop and download the full version immediately:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/shop/

Just like QCAD, QCAD/CAM is available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux Systems.

*For related QCAD/CAM Add-on questions and topics please use the new 'QCAD 3 CAM Add-On' forums.

[Edited on 14/11/13 Clive]

Return to “CAM Expert Suggestions and Feedback”