viewing object dimensions while drawing

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

pturpin
Registered Member

viewing object dimensions while drawing

Post by pturpin » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:12 pm

I've played with the Trial version a little. I'm interested in drawing architectural floor plans and elevations, and I would like to be able to see the dimensions of the shapes I draw (e.g., a 2'-6" x 3'-0" window in an elevation). So far, all I see is the cursor cross-hair position on the Cartesian grid of the whole document. Is there a way to see the object size (in scale) rather than its Cartesian position?

Paul

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: viewing object dimensions while drawing

Post by Husky » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:16 pm

Hi Paul,
make sure that your Status Bar is visible (Menu View --> Status Bar).
Choose the Tool "Rectangle",
the Menu Snap Points will open up and you can see at the Bottom left corner the Function "Set relative Zero". Set this relative Zero Point in your drawing where you need to start your rectangle. Ideally on an other Element with a clear snap point like end or center.
This relative zero point has to be the first corner of your rectangle. Now you can move your mouse to find the second corner - watch the numbers in your Status bar and it will show you the dimensions ....
@5;10
means 5 units width and 10 units high

This screen shot is from the left bottom corner of your QCad Window ....
Attachments
Husky_2012.08.29.png
Husky_2012.08.29.png (5.35 KiB) Viewed 15608 times

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:13 am

Paul, you can also use the measuring tools of QCAD (menu Info) to measure distances in your drawing.

If you want to see the dimensions permanently, add a dimension entity (menu Dimension). Dimension entities are usually added on a separate layer, so they can be easily hidden when desired.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Paul

There is no 'dynamic' automatic dimension tracking function while we actually draw like in other CAD programs other than the absolute and relative coordinate information given in the Status bar as Husky has rightly pointed out.

However I can see how this may be of use so I have added a feature request for it here:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... ask_id=674
Another viewing option may be:
Selecting a certain entity (line, circle, arc etc.) will show up the properties of that entity in the 'Property Editor' (View > Property Editor, keycode - GP), these properties, colour, line weight, length, radius or even the coordinate positions can all be changed here in this property Editor which will in this case! dynamically change in our drawing.

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”