Layers -bring to Front or back suggestion

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Clive

Layers -bring to Front or back suggestion

Post by Clive » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:42 am

In relation to topic:http:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2940

Would it be useful to have an option in the layer list to move a layer either 'Bring to Front or Send to Back' similar to what we have already in the Modify tool set?

Lets say we have several layers in our drawing and we want to select a line on layer Red ... but we also have a line the same exact length on layer Blue overlapping this line which was drawn first and each time we select it the line on layer Blue gets selected instead -

Now, of course we could turn off layer Blue,or we could use the selection filter (Pro) .. but what if we need to keep this layer Blue visible, an option in the layer list to Bring layer Red to the front would help because it seems that QCAD will select the entities initially drawn first!

Any thoughts on this?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Layers -bring to Front or back suggestion

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:16 am

Clive wrote:Would it be useful to have an option in the layer list to move a layer either 'Bring to Front or Send to Back' similar to what we have already in the Modify tool set?
Unfortunately, this cannot work for layers because of block hierarchies.
The drawing order of an entity on a layer in a block is defined by the drawing order of the block reference. It cannot be moved further back than the drawing order of the block reference.

Example hierarchy:

Code: Select all

A) Line on layer "0", drawing order 0
B) Block reference on layer "0", drawing order 1
    B1) Line on layer "0"
    B2) Line on layer "red"
C) Line on layer "0", drawing order 2
Moving layer "red" to the background, would only be possible if the block reference would be exploded.
It's possible to change the order of A,B,C and the order of B1,B2 but not something like B2,A,B,B1,C

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:41 am

Okay thanks for the explanation Andrew, it was just a Friday thought, you know what they say - 'if you don't ask, you won't know'.

I completely understand how my request would not work efficiently with blocks, however I still think an option like this may have some benefit in the preliminary/construction stages of drawing, If you start a lot of drawings from scratch like I do where no blocks are initially used it would be useful. My opinion here is coming from experience of using QCAD for lots of original 'one off' (no blocks used) drawings!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:31 pm

Clive wrote:I completely understand how my request would not work efficiently with blocks, however I still think an option like this may have some benefit in the preliminary/construction stages of drawing, If you start a lot of drawings from scratch like I do where no blocks are initially used it would be useful. My opinion here is coming from experience of using QCAD for lots of original 'one off' (no blocks used) drawings!
You can always right-click on the layer you want to move into the background, choose 'Select Layer', followed by 'Modify' > 'Move to back'.

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:27 pm

Yes of course, thanks for the reminder :)

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”