Slow Down

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

masterchippy

Slow Down

Post by masterchippy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi
Thanks again for great software. I am using Linux mint17 fully updated and Qcad Pro on an Acer one netbook with 2G of RAM.
This is probably because I am using the netbook but after 3.7.0 Qcad seems a bit slow and laggy when reverting to 3.7.0 all is fine. I generally work in screen base line types but it is in the Cad tools bar that the main problem arises with new buttons taking quite a while to redraw compared to 3.7.0.
This is not a problem when on my main desktop having more power any suggestions as I would like to use the later features
thanks
jamie

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Slow Down

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:30 pm

masterchippy wrote:it is in the Cad tools bar that the main problem arises with new buttons taking quite a while to redraw compared to 3.7.0.
Is this just a somewhat notable delay or are we talking about several seconds to switch tool bars? Thanks.

masterchippy

Post by masterchippy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:49 pm

andrew wrote:
masterchippy wrote:it is in the Cad tools bar that the main problem arises with new buttons taking quite a while to redraw compared to 3.7.0.
Is this just a somewhat notable delay or are we talking about several seconds to switch tool bars? Thanks.
Talking maybe 1 to 2 seconds enough for me to revert back to 3.7.0 though. It also affects bringing in library items and blocks. 3.7.0 brings them in and you can see them whilst placing where as later versions you only see the cursor placement.
Please dont read this is as a complaint as I accept the limitations of the hardware I am running it on and the software is superb.
Thanks for replying so quickly
Jamie

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Could you try to patch your QCAD 3.7.1, 3.7.2, 3.7.3 or 3.7.4 with the following file:
ColumnLayout.js
(7.67 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
Save the file into scripts/Widgets/CadToolBar of your QCAD installation, overwriting the file in place.

Please let me know if that solves the issue with the CAD tool bar being slow.
It also affects bringing in library items and blocks. 3.7.0 brings them in and you can see them whilst placing where as later versions you only see the cursor placement.
I cannot reproduce that problem here. Does that also happen with a new empty drawing and with one of the example parts provided in the part library (e.g. default > misc > rect)? Thanks.
Please dont read this is as a complaint as I accept the limitations of the hardware I am running it on and the software is superb.
Thanks. No problem. Each hardware / software setup is different (especially with Linux), so I can only fix such issues with feedback of kind users like you :)

masterchippy

Post by masterchippy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:22 pm

Hi Andrew,
That has sorted the Cad tool bar amazing difference. I think it might have been one of my electronic items that was quite complex that was the other problem. Tried as per your sugestion and it worked fine.
I am really impressed Thank you so much
Jamie

Ps now using 3.7.3 did not see 3.7.4 available

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:50 pm

OK, great. Thanks for letting me know. This improvement will definitely make it into the next release (3.7.5).

masterchippy

Post by masterchippy » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:55 am

Just to let you know 3.7.4 installed this morning and patch corrected that too. Noticed speed of lauch sped up too probably because it has to draw cad toolbar at start up
Excellent

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:54 pm

To further improve the situation, please save this patched version of EAction.js to the scripts directory of your QCAD installation:
EAction.js
(50.35 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

masterchippy

Post by masterchippy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:02 pm

Thanks Andrew

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”