Mask hatch with block without using fills

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Learnincurve

Mask hatch with block without using fills

Post by Learnincurve » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi!

I Am making some architectural drawings of my house and have some surfaces that are interrupted with blocks (windows in walls, etc.). The walls should be hatched with the windows appearing over and masking the hatch.

I know that I could use solid fills to fill the blocks, but this will be time consuming as some of the many window shapes are quite complex and contain multiple areas. So converting all of their constituent lines to polylines and polygons would be time consuming.

Does qcad professional contain anything similar to the Autocad WIPEOUT function or are solid fills my only option?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Mask hatch with block without using fills

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:41 pm

Wipeouts are not supported currently. I had a brief look at the DXF spec and wipeouts are relatively straight forward, so there's a good chance they will be added in the future. In any case, I've created a feature request at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1106

Learnincurve

Post by Learnincurve » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:45 pm

Hi and thanks for submitting that as a feature request. I practiced my polylines and can create enclosed geometries by a combination of new polylines and creating them from existing segments, then setting the enclosed geometry flag from the properties dialog. But even if I fill them with solid colour they still appear behind any pattern hatching I apply to the area around them and neither sending the hatching pattern to the back nor bringing the objects to the front helps me.

What is the accepted workflow to create windows on a hatched wall?

Cheers!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Send to back / Bring to front should indeed do the trick. Can you attach (the relevant part) of a drawing?
Please indicate also what version of QCAD are you using and what operating system you are on. Thanks.

Learnincurve

Post by Learnincurve » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:30 am

Thanks.
My bad.
I tried a proof of concept again to send to you and could send the pattern-hatched surface to the back, behind the solid filled area, so don't know what I had missed last time.

My version info is:
QCAD Professional

Version: 3.6.4.0 (3.6.4)
Build Date: Aug 25 2014
Qt Version: 4.8.4
Compiler: gcc 4.4.3

Using Linux Debian sid 64 bit, kernel 3.16-3 default gcc=(Debian 4.9.1-15) 4.9.1

Cheers!

--Marius--

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”