Text for laser cutting

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Schepp
Newbie Member

Text for laser cutting

Post by Schepp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:30 am

Maybe this has been brought up before?

I've been a QCAD user for about 3yrs to have parts laser cut via sendcutsend.com
Its been fun creating custom parts for my Baja Bug project.

I feel I'm pretty proficient with the software but...
One thing I've never been able to figure out is how to insert text that is recognizable for laser cutting. (DXF)

I've always had to trace the letters to make an outline, not ideal but its got me by. There's got to be a way to do this. I'm a self taught user so I'm sure I'm missing something.

Any help or direct me to some reading material would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

CVH
Premier Member

Re: Text for laser cutting

Post by CVH » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:45 am

Hi, and welcome to the QCAD forum.

TTF are filled outlines defined with splines.
One can explode TTF TEXT entities when selected to outlines, see menu Modify .. Explode (XP).
Also see menu Edit .. Application Preferences .. Modify .. Explode for the used approximation and to convert Glyph's directly to polylines.
The tighter the tolerance the more tiny segments are created.
I would advice against exploding splines to (very) short line segments unless your CNC setup is not capable of handling arcs.

Use a Bold or Italic TTF type over setting TEXT to Bold or Italic.
This last is a mathematical approach and may result in self-intersecting shapes.

Scaled splines are not entirely the same shapes.
Avoid scaling the explosion results, rather set a proper TEXT height before exploding (= height of the capital "A").

To be honest: I tweaked Explode.js to return all splines ifso. e_geek
TTF are defined by second degree splines but Qt and thus QCAD always returns third degree splines.
Forcing the degree back to 2 gives neater formed Glyph's in some cases.
The differences are mostly minute but may matter if you go into the details :wink:
Splines can then be exploded into polylines and further into lines and arcs if required.

Avoid scaling polylines with bulges with an aspect ratio other than 1 because arc segments should be replaced by ellipse-arcs.
Ellipses can not be parts of polylines and/or are usually also not supported by CNC drivers.
Then setting the 'X Scale' property of a TEXT is a better solution.
Although this may again result in self-intersecting shapes after explosion.

Sometimes self-intersecting splines are part of how a TTF Glyph is formed, filling the exterior/interior not using XOR (no islands).
You usually get the exploded exterior/interior outlines ...
... Unless mathematical transformations are applied (Bold, Italic, X Scale, ...) for example.

Some Glyph's may have floating islands like for example the capital "A", "B", ...
Or use a TTF with ties, or edit these Glyph's shapes and add ties manually to keep things together.

QCAD CXF fonts (Top entries of the Font list) are mostly single stroke fonts and are not really intended as filled outlines.
Rather intended to engrave, but there are some exceptions, e.g.: KochiGothic_with_ties.cxf
New or adapted CXF fonts can be handled within QCAD.
https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/tutorial- ... -cxf-fonts

Regards,
CVH

Schepp
Newbie Member

Post by Schepp » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 pm

CVH,

Thanks for such a detailed response.

You lost me at the start but this is exactly what I was hoping for. Also thanks for the link to the manual. Much appreciated. Is that from the manual you can buy here on site? I've been contemplating buying the paper version for a bit.

I'm sure I can figure it out with this information.

I'm not a computer programmer. Machinist by trade and fabricator on the side.
Cheers mate thanks again.

VBprayer
Registered Member

Post by VBprayer » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am

Thank you for the detailed information and warm welcome to the QCAD forum!

Your insights on TTF outlines and the intricacies of exploding TTF TEXT entities are incredibly valuable. I appreciate your advice on avoiding certain actions, such as exploding splines to short line segments, and the importance of maintaining proper TEXT height.

It's clear you've put a lot of thought and effort into understanding the nuances of QCAD and its functionalities. Your tips on handling scaled splines, polylines with bulges, and the differences between TTF and CXF fonts are enlightening.

I'll be sure to keep your recommendations in mind as I continue to navigate QCAD. Thank you once again for sharing your expertise and for making this forum such a helpful resource for users like me.

Best regards,
VB
Hi

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:52 am

VBprayer wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 am
Thank you for the detailed information and warm welcome to the QCAD forum!
@ VBprayer
Welcome to the QCAD forum and thank you for the kind words.

I am an semi-retired CNC engraver ... Text and custom artistic art was my business. :wink:
Not really what QCAD was designed for but it is affordable and can be customized with (a lot of) scripting. e_geek

Regards,
CVH

franksbedford

Post by franksbedford » Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:42 pm

How interesting. I also have this question.

I posted the dimensions for pizza oven molds we're building yesterday. We also designed the mold pieces using Qcad. Each mold has about 14 individual piece designs and a total of about 35 pieces (some are cut multiple times). There are four mold sizes, so quite a few different pieces (some are common across the sizes). And I have the same question about the mold pieces being both cut and labeled using a CNC laser cutter/engraver.

Rather than using a cutting service, I'm planning on getting an xTool 20W laser. I thought I would label, number and describe each piece by etching. Someone in the CNC world recommend making a separate Qcad layer for the etching, or making the text a different color, and set the laser to etch that color (and cut black).

Here are a couple of mold PDFs. If anyone is interested, I can post more.

It's been a fun project and Qcad is making it all possible.

Any input would be appreciated!
Attachments
d36_opening_arch.pdf
(20 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
d36_dome_arch.pdf
(17.78 KiB) Downloaded 15 times

Schepp
Newbie Member

Post by Schepp » Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:38 pm

QCAD was exactly what I was looking for. A simple easy to learn software for 2D drawing that can be saved as a DXF. The one time low fee sold it for me.
I tried the free trial of F360 and its a very powerful software and it also has a huge learning curve. The yearly cost of a single seat for an at home garage fabricator :shock:
Yup nope not in the budget.

I know a couple guys who have 3D printers so if I need something like that done, I go to them. I don't need a powerful CAD/CAM software at home.

I couldn't be happier with QCAD and I continue to recommend it to anyone I meet. Even if you know nothing about CAD, after a couple training videos you're off and drawing. It took about 2 weeks of solid studying before it clicked for me. Now I draw stuff up for my friends, family and their projects. Email them the files and SCS does the cutting, anodizing and powder coating. Its been working out really well.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:12 pm

franksbedford wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:42 pm
Someone in the CNC world recommend making a separate Qcad layer for the etching, or making the text a different color, and set the laser to etch that color (and cut black).
FB,

If a laser only scorch the surface or burns right thru depends on power per surface and that over time.
A laser dot size is usually pretty stable.
Then one would create two Toolpaths and the source for those can be arranged in different layers, only displaying the one of interest.
- Marking: Less power and/or larger FEED
- Cutting: More to full power and/or lower FEED

How well material can be cut by a laser depends greatly on maximum power and coherency of the beam.
I don't expect much deep cutting in the 20W range.

Cutting wood is more like burning ... Except fumes and scorched edges.
For a home machinist a lot of trial and error would be required.

Regards,
CVH
Last edited by CVH on Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franksbedford

Post by franksbedford » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:02 pm

Hey all,

I should have been more clear. The mold is standard, single wall 0.15" cardboard. There are enough cross supports to hold the material, it's easy to cut and easy to remove after the casting cures.

I have zero experience with the laser, and was considering using a service to start, but we have some many discrete parts, getting the service provider up to speed would take a very long time. I'm also expecting to tweak the Qcad files as we go, so a faster prototype cycle will be helpful.

I've been talking with users and equipment companies and hopefully 20W works on standard cardboard without too much mess. Never set to batch mode, so no worries with flame. The pieces should cut in 1-2 minutes.

Fingers crossed and input is always appreciated!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”