How do I summarize distances?

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

massimo

How do I summarize distances?

Post by massimo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm

When using IP to measure distance from point to point, how do I summarize that on the fly, for instance measuring a circumference of objects?
Community Version 3.28.2.0, Gentoo Linux on amd64

CVH
Premier Member

Re: How do I summarize distances?

Post by CVH » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:27 pm

Hi,
massimo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm
... how do I summarize that on the fly, for instance measuring a circumference of objects?
You can not with IP, IE or IN.
But you could use Polygon Area (IR) what includes circumference.

Fine for a closed contour, a closed polygon. :wink:
Otherwise draw a temporary open ended polyline and see Property Editor for its length.

Or make a selection of edge entities if all are singular and use IS.
But that is a bit outdated because the Property Editor will list the Total Length too.
IS is the sole Info tool that can't add a measurement to the drawing.

Regards,
CVH

massimo

Post by massimo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

This is the community version 3.28.2.0 (3.28.2), I don't find the IS command and IS does nothing here.
Yes, I found a polyline has total in the properties, that might help sometimes... but measuring over different objects is not possible like that.
Creating a temporary polyline for the measurement is just a workaround.

I would expect that IP would just work like LI being a polyline. LI is "line between 2 points", IP is "distance between points", so why not having IP summarizing from point to point to the next point just like LI creates a line from point to the next point to the next point.
If not compatible for whatever reason you could still make the summarizing an optional setting in it's toolbox.

Summarizing distances is an essential feature for CAD.
Community Version 3.28.2.0, Gentoo Linux on amd64

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

massimo: Please post to the appropriate QCAD Community Edition forum at:
https://www.qcad.org/rsforum/viewforum.php?f=76

I've moved your topic accordingly.

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

massimo,
You posted your question in the 'How Do I' Questions forum of QCAD Professional.
I would refer you to the Features page: https://www.ribbonsoft.com/en/documentation/features

Look under 'Measuring tools', the 'Total length of selected entities' is listed as a Pro only feature in blue.
massimo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am
Summarizing distances is an essential feature for CAD.
Perhaps yes, for a small fee you can upgrade to QCAD Professional. :wink:
massimo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am
I would expect that IP would just work like LI being a polyline. LI is "line between 2 points", IP is "distance between points", so why not having IP summarizing from point to point to the next point just like LI creates a line from point to the next point to the next point.
LI does NOT create a polyline, it creates loose line entities successively starting from the last Relative Zero position (The small crossed red circle).
PL creates polylines, a string of connected segments, not necessarily with straight line segments.
But when limited to line segments it looks a lot like LI. :wink:

Regards,
CVH

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”