Restore an autosaved file

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Kevin Golding
Registered Member

Restore an autosaved file

Post by Kevin Golding » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:06 am

Hi all

Where do the autosaved files get saved?

I am running QCAD 3 on Linux. I made sure to turn on autosave, and set it to save every 2 minutes. My machine just crashed, and when I restarted QCAD and re-opened my drawing, it was a version from about 1 hour ago.

How can I get back the autosaved version?

Thanks

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Restore an autosaved file

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:41 am

Kevin Golding wrote:Where do the autosaved files get saved?
In the temporary directory configured on your machine. This is most likely /tmp under Linux. If the environment variable $TMPDIR is set, it overrides this default.

QCAD 3 RC2 will allow you to configure the auto save path for QCAD individually.

Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:42 am

As the temporary directory on Windows machines gets wiped on startup, the default setting isn't useful. I've had system crashes lose work because of this. Would a real directory be a more useful default for autosaves? Mine's now set to a proper non-temp directory.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 am

@ Brass Monkey: Thanks for the hint. I'll change the default to another directory for Windows systems.

Task:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... ask_id=424

Brass Monkey

Post by Brass Monkey » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:18 pm

No problem, happy to help. @others - this is easy to change by hand:

Edit > Application preferences > Load/Save > Auto Save, and change to a non-temporary directory.
Watch this directory carefully as you may find it filling up after a bit, and prune carefully if it starts to bloat.

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks for the tip!

JulesB

Post by JulesB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:28 am

I am having the same problem on my professional version (3.7.7) running on Windows 7. Any idea where the backups are saved, or what setting I need to change?

I also was asked "would you like to open the backup" but the backup was from about half an hour ago even though autosave was running every couple of minutes.

Any advise appreciated.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:51 am

Please understand that auto save does not create backups of your drawings.

Autosave automatically saves your drawing from time to time to make sure changes are not lost in case of a QCAD or OS crash, power failure or similar. If you wish to revert to an earlier version of your drawing, you have to rely on your own backup mechanisms which are (hopefully) in place.

I'd recommend the following backup procedures as an absolute minimum whenever doing anything serious with a computer using any type of software:
- Save your document (drawing) under a new file name after every major change (e.g. mydrawing001.dxf, mydrawing002.dxf, ...)
- Use a fully automatic backup tool to sync all your data to an external storage device at least on an hourly basis. The backup tool should ideally offer a full history of your files, so you can revert at any time to a previous version. TimeMachine which comes with macOS is such a tool or Genie Timeline for Windows.

JulesB

Post by JulesB » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:04 pm

Hi Andrew :)

Thanks for your response to my query and for clarifying how autosave works, I didn't really know the details.

I think I have misused the terminology, but what I was really trying to say is that yes, I just want to be able to get my work that is lost when QCAD crashes (which it does on my machine occasionally). I usually hit save every few minutes while working but sometimes I forget. When I reopened QCAD after the crash today it gave me a prompt which I paraphrased as "would you like to open the backup" but it may have been "last saved" or whatever the QCAD wording is.

Unfortunately the regular autosaves didn't seem to work on this occasion, this has happened before where the autosave seems to be happening every couple of minutes but after the crash I have still lost about 10 to 30 minutes work. Do you know what may be causing this?

[Regarding actual backups, I do manual backups daily & weekly but thank you for the info on the auto hourly backups, that sounds efficient and easy, cheers].

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”