How to create a new block in QCAD 3 (revised) tutorial

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Clive

How to create a new block in QCAD 3 (revised) tutorial

Post by Clive » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:36 pm

Hi Guys

After posting a previous tutorial re- creating a new folder in QCAD 3 - see here:

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewt ... =32&t=1912

I thought it may be useful to share another related mini tutorial (revised) I did for work colleagues - how to create a new block in QCAD 3. See attached:
*Attachment moved to QCAD 3.0 Tips and Tutorials forum
Last edited by Clive on Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: How to create a new block in QCAD 3 - mini tutorial

Post by Husky » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi Clive,

I like your "Mini Tutorials" and maybe Andrew like to consider a special Rubric in this Forum to share something like that in only one Place . Sort of "User to User".

How ever - in this case I like to consider that this tutorial should be called "How I create a Library Item" and not just a Block.

A normal Block belongs only to the particular drawing. The goal is to us it only in this drawing or maybe in a limited form to use it via Paste&copy in other opened drawings.

A library Item is considered to be used in many Drawings for Standardization or just to do the work once for a recurring (boring) task. (Who likes really to draw every day 30 times a Hex Bolt 6x40 just because he need it every day 30 times .... :lol: )

Library Item:
My recommendation regarding to clives explanation is to draw the considered Library Item (Maybe a Hex Bolt 6x40 :wink: ) in an empty Drawing.
Align it to the the absolute zero point what will later be your reference point.
Don't make a block out of it - that is something what QCad will do for you and an additional block brings only a confusing (for you and QCad) nesting.
Store it in the Library Folder with a meaningful Name. This name (except the suffix .dxf) will later appear in the Drawing Block List of your drawing when you use the Library Item.
Be carefully with the name - if you use this Library Item in a drawing witch has already a block with the same name - QCad will ignore the Library Idem and will use the existing Block.

Clive - please compare my experience with your Tutorial and if you agree full or partly with my way feel free to implement important variations in your Tutorial.
I'm sure - this Forum and your work colleagues will appreciate your good support.

Clive

Re: How to create a new block in QCAD 3 (revised) tutorial

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:54 am

Husky

Thanks for the direction - I need it! :roll:

I know in my head what I want to say , but it doesn`t always happen in reality :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have posted another tutorial specifically for creating a new part for the library.

As regards your suggestion for having a dedicated area for 'user to user' tips, tutorials etc... I think that would be great to have.

@Andrew would this be possible?

Best

Clive

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:39 pm

I've created an appropriate forum at:
viewforum.php?f=47

I've also moved your tutorial topic in there. The topic also still exists in the old place as shadow topic (I think that means it's linked).

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:05 pm

andrew wrote:I've created an appropriate forum at:
viewforum.php?f=47

I've also moved your tutorial topic in there. The topic also still exists in the old place as shadow topic (I think that means it's linked).
Thanks Andrew for that - however it seems the permissions are not set for users to access this new forum to read/write etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Permissions.. there's a 500 page book to be written about phpbb permissions. I tried to set permissions the same like for other forums.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:38 pm

andrew wrote:Permissions.. there's a 500 page book to be written about phpbb permissions. I tried to set permissions the same like for other forums.
Thanks for sorting out the permissions - its all OK now!

Maybe someone will offer to write such a book about permissions for phpbb - I doubt it though. :lol:

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:02 pm

clive wrote:I know in my head what I want to say , but it doesn`t always happen in reality :lol: :lol: :lol:
Welcome in my Club :lol:

@Andrew
Thanks for the appropriate Forum!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”