QCad --> Sketchup ?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD version 3

Moderator: andrew

QCad --> Sketchup ?

Postby Husky » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Is there still a way to export/import the QCad files (dxf, dwg) to Sketchup (free edition)? Just to use the 2D drawings as a basic to pep it up to 3D drawings?
Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: QCad --> Sketchup ?

Postby Husky » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:13 pm

clive wrote:No, not any more - you used to be able to but now the 'Free' version is crippled for this!

Hi clive - thanks for your response!

Jep - you are right .... they clipped that out :cry:

I use an other programs for Gears what is able to export in a .dae Format what is then readable by Sketchup 8. It is not a perfect solution but it is a workaround what saves a lot of time.
Would be nice to have something like that for QCad ... :wink:

Ok, here is a workaround for Sketchup 8.
Download and install also Sketchup7 Pro - don't worry about the Pro - it turns after 24h in a free Version.
Download and install the app for SK7 "AllowDWGImportInSketchUp7.msi"

QCad: Load the drawing what you like to use in Sketchup - remove everything what you don't need - and save it as a R2007/LT2007 drawing (*.dwg) with a new File name.

Open SK7 -> import the .dwg -> save as a .skp (Sketchup files) -> open SK8 -> open this particular .skp and you are ready to start with your 3D modeling.

Makes this sense in all cases: NO! If you have a small drawing it might be easier to design it new in Sketchup. If you have something like me right now with Millions (I'm kidding) pieces -> YES! Because I'm a lazy guy :wink:

Why I haven't used the Isometrics function from QCad (which is really good!) .... because from time to time you need more flexibility ....
Husky

Postby Husky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:13 pm

Clive - thanks for you PM. For an answer you have to turn on your PM Function .... :wink:
Husky

Postby Husky » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 pm

clive wrote:Maybe you can add a feature request Husky - hint, hint :wink:
Done: :roll:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/bugtracker/in ... &sort=desc

clive wrote:... which I`m sure would bring in more users to the world of QCAD, people looking for a good 2D to 3D workflow 8)

Absolutely right! 8)
I'm more the 2D Guy but 3D helps tremendous to present something to customer/coworker or students which are not so familiar with 2D and have trouble to read a technical Drawing. I think QCad should have an open door to this 3D world ... :wink:

PM is out!
Husky

Return to QCAD 3 'How Do I' Questions