Color of hatches (and other entities)

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD version 3

Moderator: andrew

Color of hatches (and other entities)

Postby andrew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:03 pm

From a QCAD user:

How can I create a hatch (or other entity) with a different color?
andrew
Site Admin

Re: Color of hatches (and other entities)

Postby andrew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:18 pm

The colors, line types and line weights of all entities are almost always defined by the layer the entity is on.

For example, if an entity is on a layer called 'labels' and the color of that layer is set to 'yellow', all entities on that layer (i.e. all labels) are shown in yellow.

The same is true for hatches. So if you want to create a hatch that represents a wall, you would put it on a layer called 'walls' and make that layer for example gray.

The reason behind all this it that entities with the same functionality are typically shown in the same color to make that functionality visible to the viewer of a drawing. Attached, you can find a simple floor plan with a couple of examples for typical layer uses.
Attachments
layers_and_colors.png
layers_and_colors.png (71.19 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
andrew
Site Admin

Re: Color of hatches (and other entities)

Postby andrew » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Keeping in mind all of the above, it is also possible to assign individual colors to entities. The easiest way to do so is by assigning a color using the property editor as shown below. Select the entities you want to change, make sure the property editor is shown (View - Property Editor) and change the color in the property editor.

In the interest of keeping a drawing well organized and maintainable, individual colors should be used very sparingly in truly exceptional cases only.
Attachments
individual_colors.png
individual_colors.png (62.72 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
andrew
Site Admin

Return to QCAD 3 'How Do I' Questions