New Drawing Start Location

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

jthornton

New Drawing Start Location

Post by jthornton » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:22 pm

How do I get a new drawing to start with 0,0 in the upper left corner so the coordinates match my machine when using the cam export?

And how do I set the scale of a new drawing?

JT

andrew
Site Admin

Re: New Drawing Start Location

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:24 pm

jthornton wrote:How do I get a new drawing to start with 0,0 in the upper left corner so the coordinates match my machine when using the cam export?
If the Y axis of your machine points south, you can adjust your machine configuration to flip entities along the horizontal (X) axis before exporting. I will post an example configuration in the other thread at:
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2625
jthornton wrote:And how do I set the scale of a new drawing?
Drawings in QCAD have generally a scale of 1:1 (real size). You can adjust your machine configuration to scale output if desired if that is what you had in mind. Otherwise, please elaborate.

jthornton

Post by jthornton » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Hmm, I can't figure out how to attach an image to show perhaps but I'll try and explain. When you select File > New the drawing area is 6' x 4' and the red cross hair for 0,0 is in the left lower corner. If I can change that to be some other size like 2' x 1.5' and the red cross hair is in the upper left corner then when I start a drawing I'm drawing in the quadrant that make sense for a mill from a CNC point of view.

Thanks for the example for swapping the Y I think that can be useful for a lathe machine configuration to be able to swap that out.

Thanks
JT

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I see. The start view area is generally not configurable.

The next best thing I can think of is to start with a drawing template. This is a normal drawing that contains the layers and blocks you usually use and that is stored in libraries/templates/imperial/...

You can then start a new drawing through menu 'File - New from Template...'

To get the viewing area right, you could place a rectangle in your template which represents your work piece or the available working area. Put it on a separate layer to make sure you can switch it off easily when exporting to G-Code.

Another way would be to store your preferred view of the drawing area in the template:
- Adjust the zoom, pan according to your preference.
- Make sure the list of stored views is visible (View - View List)
- Menu 'View' - 'Add View'
- Enter a name for your stored view
- OK

After staring a new drawing from your template, you can then adjust the view to your saved view with one click on the name of your stored view in the view list.

jthornton

Post by jthornton » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks again, the first option works for me well.

JT

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”