Trial Add-ons Removal, User's Manual download

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

JackErbes
Newbie Member

Trial Add-ons Removal, User's Manual download

Post by JackErbes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:31 am

I want to use QCAD without the Add-Ons.

The download page says:

- To uninstall a trial add-on, click on the button with an 'X' beside the add-on in the 'Trial' window.

- To use the QCAD community edition without any proprietary add-ons, simply uninstall all trial add-ons.

I can't seem to find the "Trial Window" or a place to uninstall the trial add-ons.
Any help with that would be appreciated.

I searched for help on this and found the following:

"..You can delete the trial plugins manually by deleting the following files in directory 'plugins':
libqcaddwg.so
libqcadproscripts.so
libqcadcamscripts.so..."

My plugins folder does not have those files, it has the following:

qcadcamscripts.disabled
qcaddwg.disabled
qcaddxf.dll
qcadproscripts.disabled

Does that mean that I already have the add-ons disabled? If they are, I am clueless as to how it happened. :>)

And I'd also like to download a user's manual with the full instructions for using QCAD. And I don't own a E-Book reader. Is there not a downloadable *.pdf file with a manual in it?

Jack

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Trial Add-ons Removal, User's Manual download

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:26 am

Hi Jack - welcome in the Forum!
JackErbes wrote: - To uninstall a trial add-on, click on the button with an 'X' beside the add-on in the 'Trial' window.
If you start QCAD you will see in the right lower corner a "Trial Window" with the "CAM", DWG and "Pro tools" add-ons.
On the right end of each line you will find the "X" to delete the add-ons.
If you decide to remove a trial add-ons just click the "X".
A dialog will pop up which will ask you to restart QCAD. If you decide to remove all three of them you don't need to restart QCAD after deleting every single add-on - just restart QCAD after you are done with deleting all three add-ons.
Husky-2014.03.06-01.png
Husky-2014.03.06-01.png (194.09 KiB) Viewed 24163 times
Thats it. :wink:

JackErbes wrote:And I'd also like to download a user's manual with the full instructions for using QCAD. And I don't own a E-Book reader. Is there not a downloadable *.pdf file with a manual in it?
I'm not sure that I understand you correctly but if you are in the market to buy a QCAD Book you don't need an E-Book reader - you can get it as a *.pdf.

Enjoy QCAD

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:46 am

JackErbes wrote:My plugins folder does not have those files, it has the following:

qcadcamscripts.disabled
qcaddwg.disabled
qcaddxf.dll
qcadproscripts.disabled

Does that mean that I already have the add-ons disabled? If they are, I am clueless as to how it happened. :>)
Yes. The trial add-ons are already disabled / uninstalled in this case.
JackErbes wrote:And I'd also like to download a user's manual with the full instructions for using QCAD. And I don't own a E-Book reader. Is there not a downloadable *.pdf file with a manual in it?
Please refer to our web site for information about the QCAD book / e-book:
http://qcad.org/en/qcad-documentation/t ... -qcad-book

An integrated user reference manual is only available in QCAD Pro. The free QCAD version you are intending to use links to our web site to browse the user reference manual online.

JackErbes
Newbie Member

Post by JackErbes » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:53 pm

@ Husky and Andrew,

Thanks for the replies, I think I understand it all now.

I don't remember ever seeing that Trial window and making those choices but somehow they got turned off.

I'll admit to being a thrifty geezer but I think that comes with my being 72, retired, on a fixed income, etc., and only needing to do a little 2D drafting to make one *.dxf file for now. I doubt that I'll use it more than a few times a year and then only in a hobby (Radio Control aircraft) and for non-commercial purposes.

So I got a little "sticker shock" at the cost of that book. And was a little surprised that there was not any downloadable documentation unless the Pro version was purchased.

Does the online "QCAD Reference Manual" contain less info than is in the book? That has helped me get started. And I was a draftsman once, both on paper and with much older versions of Autocad and CadKey so remember the basics.

To put it in perspective, I have also tried the trial versions of a couple of other software CAD products (SketchUp 2013 and AutoCad LT 2014) and found both of those to be much more capable (and complicated to use) than I wanted or needed and much more expensive too.

I'm sure that other hobbyists will ask me about it and I'll give QCAD a high recommendation for simple drafting and making vector files for various automated cutting processes. Almost all of this is being done for entertainment by non-commercial hobbyists so cost is always a consideration.

Thank you again for the help!

Jack

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 pm

@Jack
JackErbes wrote:I'll admit to being a thrifty geezer but I think that comes with my being 72, retired, on a fixed income, etc., and only needing to do a little 2D drafting to make one *.dxf file for now. I doubt that I'll use it more than a few times a year and then only in a hobby (Radio Control aircraft) and for non-commercial purposes.
That is one of many nice things about QCAD CE - for somebody like you there is this powerful Open-source Software in the market for free. I personally know a lot of RC hobbyist around the world which are using exactly this Software for building their RC models - the flying ones - the swimming ones - the diving ones - or what ever ones. Many of them are using QCAd to prepare the drawings for further manufacturing with a CNC machine.
JackErbes wrote:And I was a draftsman once, both on paper and with much older versions of Autocad and CadKey so remember the basics.
With this background it is hardly to believe that you will have any problems with QCAD. But let us be honestly - from time to time it is nice to have a buddy on the side who is willing/able to help with little difficulties in the drawing world. The name of your buddy is: "QCAD Forum" :wink:
And no, we don't have for every problem a solution but most of the time .... 8)
JackErbes wrote:I'm sure that other hobbyists will ask me about it and I'll give QCAD a high recommendation for simple drafting and making vector files for various automated cutting processes.
Thank you very much.

JackErbes
Newbie Member

Post by JackErbes » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:50 am

You're very right about how good the Community Edition is. And I am grateful for you having the CE edition and making it free to use.

And you're right about QCAD being pretty easy to use for someone that knows the basics of drafting. I've already gotten the drawing I needed finished and really enjoyed re-awakening some of the old skills. I think the things I most wanted more info on were some of the things that show up in places like the Block List and some of the aspects of using the commands and options on the block list.

So thanks again for your wonderful application! And I'll certainly make more use of the forum when I need more help.

Jack

Flewggle
Newbie Member

Post by Flewggle » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:54 pm

I run windows10 64 bit. I was having trouble removing the trial window as well. There was no "x" to click. Everytime I clicked removed and restarted the trial window would be back. I couldn't find the file names listed here to remove manually. Here is what I did that worked.

After installing qcad, RIGHT click over the shortcut icon on your desktop. That will bring up a context menu.
Next left click "Run as administrator"
Next left click "yes" to allow the app to make changes question.

Now click the "remove" next to the add ons, then restart qcad.
Now the trial window should be gone.

I'm not saying I wont end up buying the full version or the cam add on. In fact thats why Im using the free version now to see if I like it. I just wanted the trial window gone so I can have that much more room to design in.

For what its worth. I've been a draftsman since I was a kid. I was there when autocad came out in the 80's and used it to design automated machinery. So far this program looks pretty cool. Prices are reasonable. I like the interface.

Miketrent1
Registered Member

Post by Miketrent1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:58 am

If the trial version of CAM will not remove when you restart QCAD; close out QCAD then locate the program folder on the local drive, it should be under Program Files (both 32/64 bit machines). Once you located the QCAD folder, double-click the folder. It should bring up different folders and bat files. Ignore all the bats and locate the "plug-in" folder. After you open the plug-in folder, search for qcadcamscripts.dll and (be sure to have QCAD close if you don't, the file will not delete) delete the file. Restart QCAD to check the CAM widget disappeared. If not, not sure what to tell you on removing that widget. This is for QCAD Professional users; I'm not sure if it will work for the QCAD trial versions.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”