What is layer '0' used for?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD version 3

Moderator: andrew

What is layer '0' used for?

Postby cjs94 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:41 am

Hi,

In a mechanical drawing what is intended to be drawn on layer '0', as opposed to, say, the Outline layer? (I'm referring to the AEC layer template shipped with QCAD.)

Chris
cjs94

Re: What is layer '0' used for?

Postby andrew » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:50 am

Layer '0' is for historical reasons always present and cannot be deleted.

In most cases, it should not be used unless you are working on a very simple drawing that does not use layers. In this simple case, you might want to create everything on layer '0' and not worry about layers at all.
andrew
Site Admin

Postby Clive » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:25 pm

Traditionally Blocks (symbols) can be created on Layer 0 in programs like AutoCAD and Microstation with Colour, Line type and Line width set to 'by layer', once inserted the block/symbol will then have the attributes of the layer upon which it is inserted. Hope this makes sense e_confused
Clive
Clive

Postby riverbuoy » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Hi Clive,

Clive wrote:Traditionally Blocks (symbols) can be created on Layer 0 in programs like AutoCAD and Microstation with Colour, Line type and Line width set to 'by layer', once inserted the block/symbol will then have the attributes of the layer upon which it is inserted. Hope this makes sense e_confused

That is how it works in Autocad.
However, in QCAD, if you draw your entities on layer 0, and set Colour, Linetype and Lineweight to 'ByLayer', and then add those entities to a block, when the block is inserted the entities always take on the values of layer 0, not the values of the layer on which it is inserted. You need to set the Colour, Linetype and Lineweight to 'ByBlock' to have the entities take on the values of the layer on which it is inserted.

riverbuoy
riverbuoy

Postby Clive » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:20 pm

riverbuoy wrote:That is how it works in Autocad ....However, in QCAD

Ah, yes the story continues, thanks for the next chapter.
Clive
Clive

Postby Husky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi everybody 8)
riverbuoy wrote:... to have the entities take on the values of the layer on which it is inserted.

For what do I need that? Usually my blocks are build with using a couple different layers - like this one:

Husky-2014.07.25-05.png
Husky-2014.07.25-05.png (1.38 KiB) Viewed 600 times

... and I'm pretty happy that this block doesn't adopts the actual Layer attributes. 8)

If I need a block with just one layer I would design this block in first place onto the right layer. Isn't that right?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Husky

Postby Clive » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:09 pm

Husky wrote:... and I'm pretty happy that this block doesn't adopts the actual Layer attributes. 8)

agreed :wink:
Clive
Clive

Return to QCAD 3 'How Do I' Questions