Use of DIM Scale in Imperial drawings ...

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Use of DIM Scale in Imperial drawings ...

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:24 am

Hi,

I'm still to be at daggers drawn with the DIM scaling (imperial!) - could please somebody tell me how to do it?

I have an original drawing and a copy which is three times bigger. Now I need to make my dim. In Metric - no problem - in Imperial - I don't get it! (the Property Editor works but isn't really an option)

The example drawing shows on the left side the original drawing for references. I need to dim the right side. What is 3 1/2 on the left side should also be 3 1/2 on the right side.
Dim Scale imperial.dxf
(139.22 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
Thanks!
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Use of DIM Scale in Imperial drawings ...

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I suppose you could enter '3' or '3:1' in the scale input while creating the dimension(s), but I have a feeling that this was probably not your question (?)
Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 14.32.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 14.32.32.png (143.98 KiB) Viewed 4493 times

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:17 am

andrew wrote:I suppose you could enter '3' or '3:1' in the scale input while creating the dimension(s)
Yes - you are right. I can use '3' or '3:1' or '3/1'. All works! But my intention is to work in imperial (exclusively) and use the scale options from the pull-down menu respectively to type in my own scales.

For example:
I have in the scale pull-down a scale called 1" = 2". I can use it - works! Nice!
Next - need a scale 1" = 3". Not in the pull-down menu - but I can type it in - works! Nice!

Now I need a scale for 2" = 1". Can't find it in the pull-down - have to type it in - no red text warning - but ... it doesn't works! Why not? It works on this way in Metric and (opposite) in Imperial!
What will work for 2" = 1" is 24" = 1'-0". Or for my first example drawing (3times bigger) the scale would be 36" = 1'-0". I can't believe that is on purposes. Would really somebody use that instead of 2" = 1" or 3" = 1"?

Long story short: I know - imperial is complicated! But I'm looking to use it like the DIM metric scale and I'm not sure what is correct working and what not.
Or, do I miss an important fact for imperial?

Green correct / red wrong
Worldhusky-2015.01.28-02.png
Worldhusky-2015.01.28-02.png (11.33 KiB) Viewed 4481 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:36 am

Husky wrote:Now I need a scale for 2" = 1". Can't find it in the pull-down - have to type it in - no red text warning - but ... it doesn't works!
True, the parser simply does not recognise anything that is not starting with 1" = or end with = 1'-0". It's kinda hairy to parse these kind of notations (think 1/2" = 3' - 3 3/4 - 1/2" where the dash is ambiguous). This could certainly be improved for simple cases. Feel free to add a bug report / feature request (whatever you see fit).

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:14 pm

Hello Andrew - thanks for confirmation. I wasn't sure that I understand the logic behind this "Imperial scale system" in QCAD .... :oops:
andrew wrote:
Husky wrote: Feel free to add a bug report / feature request (whatever you see fit).
I will do that.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”