Customizing "Finish indicator" color shade ...

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Customizing "Finish indicator" color shade ...

Post by Husky » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 pm

If I use the "Create from Segments" Tool I get a finish indicator that the job is done as a darker shade of the color which is original used on the segments.

This isn't very visible - is there a way to customize the color?
Husky-2015.09.07-02.png
Husky-2015.09.07-02.png (10.63 KiB) Viewed 6113 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Customizing "Finish indicator" color shade ...

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:47 am

This highlighting does not have anything to do with the progress of the tool. It indicates what entity is currently the closest to the mouse cursor. The highlighted color is a lighter or darker shade of the entity color which also depends on the background color. It cannot be configured at this point (because it's not a fixed color but more complex than that).

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:29 am

andrew wrote:This highlighting does not have anything to do with the progress of the tool. It indicates what entity is currently the closest to the mouse cursor.
Ok, my fault. The screen shot is misleading. Sorry for that. :wink:

No, if I use the "Create from Segment" tool on a line - build out of many short lines - the color will change to a darker shade after those lines are converted to a polyline. That is my only indicator that QCAD is done with the task and I can move to the next task. It has nothing to do with the normal "close to the mouse cursor" indicator.

This screen shot shows the situation after the polyline is build (second line from the bottom). The mouse pointer isn't the trigger for this color change.
Husky-2015.09.08-02.png
Husky-2015.09.08-02.png (94.06 KiB) Viewed 6102 times
Testfile is to big for the forum but it is easy to reproduce this behavior.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:43 am

Husky wrote:The mouse pointer isn't the trigger for this color change.
I think it is. The last known mouse cursor position is close to that polyline (since it was just clicked). Once you move the mouse, the highlighting disappears.
I could add status information to the command line history, something like "Polyline created". Obviously, this will only be useful if the command line is visible.

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:17 pm

andrew wrote:I think it is. The last known mouse cursor position is close to that polyline (since it was just clicked). Once you move the mouse, the highlighting disappears.
Ok, I assume the reason for a different point of view is based on the different hardware performance between your and mine system. My system isn't anymore the fastest one ...

On my system it looks like the color change is a kind of "finished indicator". I learned it isn't so but it helps me to see when I can go on to the next task ...

andrew wrote:I could add status information to the command line history, something like "Polyline created". Obviously, this will only be useful if the command line is visible.
Thanks and yes that would be nice but on the other hand you can't take care of every performance issue at the customer side. Right now I can live with this how it is.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:16 am

I just took a minute to look into this and you were right actually: the last converted polyline is indeed being highlighted! Sorry about the confusion.

This means that can be used as an indicator for both the completion and the result (which segments have been converted into a polyline). In addition, I've also added a message in the command line history to tell the user that a new polyline has been created with N segments.

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:15 pm

andrew wrote:... In addition, I've also added a message in the command line history to tell the user that a new polyline has been created with N segments.
Very nice ... :D
... thank you! :wink:

jvalencia

Post by jvalencia » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:52 pm

This is an issue for me too, the lack of any indication, even a text message on the console with: "command successful" or something like this.

I have to change the color to see if the command is working or not, because some colors make it really difficult to see what's going on.

If something could be done in this area it would be great. For example flashing the object/result for 1 second.

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”