Rotated (Linear)

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

BicycleRider
Newbie Member

Rotated (Linear)

Post by BicycleRider » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:04 pm

i, me again. :oops:

I'm trying to create a dimension line that is NOT parallel or aligned to the line I'm measuring, but still shows the actual length of that line. For example, I have a 4 foot line that is at 45 degrees from the vertical. I want the dimension line label to read 4 feet, but I want the dimension line itself to be vertical.
Procedure:

1. Enter the angle of the dimension in the options toolbar.
2. Set the first extension line endpoint with the mouse or enter a coordinate in the command line.
3. Set the second extension line endpoint.
4. Set the position of the dimension line.
Here is what I'm doing:

1. I enter the angle (I assume of the line I'm measuring) into the text box.
2. I click on the first end of the line.
3. I click on the other end.
4. I click where i want the dimension line to be,but nothing appears, and the command line tells me to click-on the first reference point.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong, if not everything. Or else this tool is not what I think it is? Can this even be done in Q-CAD??

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Rotated (Linear)

Post by Husky » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:34 pm

Hi again, :wink:

your goal sounds just .... implausible .... at least to me at this point of information. :oops:

We are talking about something like this: This 45° line is actually 4' long
Husky-2016.08.20-03.png
Husky-2016.08.20-03.png (3.06 KiB) Viewed 4608 times
From the point of how to do a dimensioning this would be plain wrong.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Hi
Could you use a leader line or a numbered reference instead?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

BicycleRider
Newbie Member

Post by BicycleRider » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:22 am

Tat's one option. It would be nice to know how to get the Rotate (linear) to work, or at least know what it's purpose is if it's not what I thought. :|

Husky

Post by Husky » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:08 am

BicycleRider wrote:Tat's one option. It would be nice to know how to get the Rotate (linear) to work, or at least know what it's purpose is if it's not what I thought. :|
Ok, here is a short explanation;

Scenario: One and the same workpiece - rotated three times

1. Horizontal - for dimensioning you can just use the "Horizontal" Dim tool,
Husky-2016.08.20-01.png
Husky-2016.08.20-01.png (10.5 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
2. Vertical - for dimensioning you can just use the "Vertical" Dim tool,
Husky-2016.08.20-02.png
Husky-2016.08.20-02.png (12.54 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
3. below 45 degree ... dimensioning would not be possible without extra construction lines! But with the knowledge of the used rotation angle for the workpiece (in this case 45°) you are able to use the dimensioning tool "Rotated Linear". Just put the angle into the option bar and you are able to do a proper dim. :wink:
Husky-2016.08.20-03.png
Husky-2016.08.20-03.png (16.32 KiB) Viewed 4590 times
I hope that helps to understand the purpose of this dim tool.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

uten
Registered Member

Post by uten » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:38 am

@BicycleRider
I assume you used the Rotated ( RD ) tool?

Enter the rotation of the measurement line. I have a 45 degree line and want a 30 degree measurement line. So I put 30 in the Angle Options box. Then I select two points with the mouse indicating the line to be measured. Then I select a offset (by mouse ) to position the measurement line.

As You say nothings happens, i'm wondering if you have had any success with the aligned measurements tools? To get them working I had to visit the (CTRL-i) Drawing preferences-> Dimensions settings-> Size scale factor and sett it to something other than 1 to get started. If I recall right that includes getting QCAD to draw the measurement lines.

@Husky,
I always learn a lot from your elaborate answers to all kinds of questions. Thanks for your time and effort!

Best regards
Uten

Husky

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:19 am

uten wrote:Enter the rotation of the measurement line. I have a 45 degree line and want a 30 degree measurement line. So I put 30 in the Angle Options box. Then I select two points with the mouse indicating the line to be measured. Then I select a offset (by mouse ) to position the measurement line.

As You say nothings happens ...
We are still talking about the Dim Rotate (linear) tool, correct? And if I understand that right - this example wouldn't work with your QCAD version without changing the "Drawing preferences" settings?
Husky-2016.08.25-01.png
Husky-2016.08.25-01.png (18.31 KiB) Viewed 4536 times
uten wrote:@Husky,
I always learn a lot from your elaborate answers to all kinds of questions. Thanks for your time and effort!
Thank you uten! You are more than welcome!

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”