How to Scale Existing Drawing 1/4" to 1/8" Yet retain same dimensions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

vdanny

How to Scale Existing Drawing 1/4" to 1/8" Yet retain same dimensions

Post by vdanny » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:54 pm

How to Scale Existing Drawing 1/4" to 1/8" Yet retain same dimensions? Current when I use the Modify scale tool it then also changes the dimensions. Additionally on the same model space I have drawings I am leaving at 1/4"=1' yet n the ones I am needing to change I am needing to make them smaller like 3/16"=1' and or 1/8"=1'
QCAD Professional

Version:
3.21.3.0 (3.21.3)
Internet:
QCAD.org
Build Date:
Sep 17 2018
Revision:
4b91c8c
Qt Version:
Architecture:
x86_64
Compiler:
MSVC++ 12.0 (2013)
windows 7

andrew
Site Admin

Re: How to Scale Existing Drawing 1/4" to 1/8" Yet retain same dimensions

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:05 pm

Please refer to the printing tutorial at:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-printing

As well as Working with Layout Blocks and Viewports:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports

If these tutorials do not answer your question, please post back here.

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Neither of these tutorials answers my question nor explain how I can take an existing drawing that was model in model space and then scale that drawing to half it size, yet keep its same dimension. AGAIN I am needing to on the same 24 x 36" page have a 1/4"=1' drawing and other drawings at a smaller scale. How do I do that?
THX Dan

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm

In CAD, you'd almost never want to do that. Always keep your drawing model 1:1. Then, for printing, you can arrange different parts of your drawing at different scales using viewports arranged in a layout (see tutorial above).

If you really want to actually scale your drawing (thereby creating a drawing model that is not 1:1, i.e. not real size), you can scale your drawing and then use the property editor to adjust the linear factor property of your dimensions. Example: scale drawing by factor 0.5 and set linear factor of all dimensions to 2. Again, this is not recommended and not the usual way to work with a CAD. Measuring details from your drawing will become cumbersome, coordinates will not match the real coordinates, every new dimension has to be adjusted as above, etc.

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:15 am

Can I have 2 view port for One 24 x 36 page?
THX Dan

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:48 am

I still dont understand how to create a viewport within the model space or the paper space at a different scale. the tutorial https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports, seems to indicate it can be done and has some red arrows and dotted squares outline in the pictures seeming to indicate it can be done, YET there are no instructions or steps to actually accomplish this. Please show me how this is done.
THX
Dan

vdanny

Post by vdanny » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:49 am

I still dont understand how to create a viewport within the model space or the paper space at a different scale. the tutorial https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-working-wi ... -viewports, seems to indicate it can be done and has some red arrows and dotted squares outline in the pictures seeming to indicate it can be done, YET there are no instructions or steps to actually accomplish this. Please show me how this is done.
THX
Dan

TSG
Premier Member

Post by TSG » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:42 pm

First of all: a viewport makes only sense in paper space.
After taking a viewport in model space the viewport has to be dropped into paper space.
The size and the location of the viewport in paper space can be adjusted by dragging and dropping the frame.
When selecting the viewport in paper space you can change the scale in the Property Editor.
See attached screenshot. In this example the scale factor is 4. The size on paper will be 4 times larger than the original in model space.

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (68.95 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Thomas
Ich will nicht streiten. Ich will nur deutlich machen, dass ich Recht habe und DU NICHT.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

vdanny wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:38 pm
AGAIN I am needing to on the same 24 x 36" page have a 1/4"=1' drawing and other drawings at a smaller scale. How do I do that?
I'm confused. Is your goal to print two Different drawings on the same page? Maybe you could post the drawings?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”