Odd Printout behaviour observed yesterday....

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

shady8240
Newbie Member

Odd Printout behaviour observed yesterday....

Post by shady8240 » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:25 pm

I am producing architectural drawings for my new build project; a duplex to rent out and a shop with a second floor apartment to live in. During this process I set up my drawing to reflect feet/ inch fractions, and I made a template to create all the drawings from so that I can print them out on 11x17 paper. On one of my drawings, first floor floor plan, I had to adjust a stairwell. I copied the components of the stair well and pasted them off to the side of the site plan. I made my adjustments inside the site plan, and hit print preview. This time, the print preview showed my entire floor plan shifted to the right on the "paper"; versus when I had printed it earlier and it was nicely centered on the 11x17 paper. Upon closer look, I had left a small line or something where I had pasted the stairwell to the side earlier. I deleted the line, and went back to print preview. It did the same thing, showing my output far shifted to the center and right of the paper, and much too small to read my details. I went back into drafting mode, made sure there were no more objects off to the side of my main drawing, saved the file and closed it. I opened the file back again, and had the same thing happening?????? To ultimately stop this and have the drawing print out correctly on the paper, I had to open a previously saved backup copy of the file, redo the changes, and from there I was able to get it to properly fit on the paper? Any idea why this happened and has anyone else experienced this?

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Odd Printout behaviour observed yesterday....

Post by andrew » Tue Feb 06, 2024 5:30 pm

The first time you switched to print preview, you were probably asked if you want to auto fit the drawing to the paper. QCAD asks this if the drawing doesn't fit at its current scale.

You can always auto fit later in the print preview by clicking the button here indicated with the red border:
auto_fit.png
auto_fit.png (33.37 KiB) Viewed 603 times
See also our printing tutorial at:
https://qcad.org/en/tutorial-printing

P.S: I've moved your question to the appropriate forum.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”