Snap possibility's to dimension

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Snap possibility's to dimension

Post by Husky » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:24 am

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I am confused. :|

Has something changed in the possibility to snap to dimensions? I'm trying to align a couple dimensions but I'm only able to snap to dim references. Did I missed something?
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Snap possibility's to dimension

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:07 pm

Yes, snapping to dimension internal shapes has been disabled.
The reasons being:
- performance for drawing with lots of dimensions
- undesired / accidental snapping to dimension line end points with a small gap to an endpoint (you almost always want to snap to the edge end point, not the dimension line end point)

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:06 am

andrew wrote:Yes, snapping to dimension internal shapes has been disabled.
The reasons being:
- performance for drawing with lots of dimensions
- undesired / accidental snapping to dimension line end points with a small gap to an endpoint (you almost always want to snap to the edge end point, not the dimension line end point)
Ok - makes sense! But here is what has absolutely confused me:
When I create a new Dimension (e.g. Horizontal) I can use a "Free Point" to determine the "Dimension Line Location". This Free Point can be everywhere on the x coordinates of the Dimension Line. But if I need to use this reference point to align the next dimension (e.g. a chain dimensioning) - it is a pain in the back to find this Reference point.
Worldhusky-2015.01.05-01.png
Worldhusky-2015.01.05-01.png (3.5 KiB) Viewed 7569 times
Now - after playing around and by accident I figured that the Reference point for the Dimension line should be always at the same position in the internal shape. I'm correct?
Yes - that would make sense to me ...
Worldhusky-2015.01.05-02.png
Worldhusky-2015.01.05-02.png (3.57 KiB) Viewed 7569 times
... but my problem is that this only works after saving and reloading the whole drawing. Very unpractical - is that intended to work that way?
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:15 am

Yes, that's correct. You can use any point to define the position of the dimension line. However, the DXF / DWG format resets that position, as you have observed. Usually, the exact position of that reference point is irrelevant, only its vertical position matters (for a horizontal dimension).

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:33 pm

andrew wrote:Usually, the exact position of that reference point is irrelevant, only its vertical position matters (for a horizontal dimension).
What means "the exact position of that reference point is irrelevant? I need to snap to it what means I need exactly to know where it is! My Autosnap can't find this point - is there any single snap which will find this reference of the Dim Line? Or do I need to change some kind of Snap settings?

I'm pretty sure this must be a sort of misunderstanding on my side! Please - enlighten me how to align properly dimensions lines with the example above.
I will not use Grid, I will not use a construction line oslt, I will not have to save and reload the drawing during my work just to get the Reference points reseted.

It can't be that complicated just to make a second Dim and tell it where to place the Dim Line precisely regarding to an other Dim Line ....

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:56 pm

Here an example. For demonstration purpose I chose to place the first reference point for the DIM Line extremely to the right side.
However - I'm not able to find / or snap to the first DIM Line as a reference for the second DIM.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:46 am

Hi Husky

Just tried this, no problems for me.

1.Autosnap on, set first extension line origin.
2.Autosnap on, set second extension line origin.
3.Free snap, set dimension line location at far right.
4.Autosnap back on, second dimension line placed without problems , snapping to reference point on first dimension.

(* Latest QCAD release used).
Dimensioning question 1.png
Dimensioning question 1.png (6.9 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
Dimensioning question 2.png
Dimensioning question 2.png (6.44 KiB) Viewed 7401 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:14 am

Hey Husky

Have you set snap to 'Reference points' in your snap settings?
Dimensioning question 3.png
Dimensioning question 3.png (15.74 KiB) Viewed 7395 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:55 pm

Hi Clive,
Clive wrote:Just tried this, no problems for me.
Thanks for testing! Now I know it should work - but unfortunately it doesn't works on my XP machine. :cry:
Clive wrote:Have you set snap to 'Reference points' in your snap settings?
Yep, I did. :wink:

I also reinstalled QCAD with a fresh installation / and a fresh QCAD INI - still the same problem.

I'm not sure when Andrew changed the snap possibility for dimension - and I think his intention to change it is absolute reasonable - but now I'm challenging this problem and I have no idea how to solve it.

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:58 am

Hi Husky

I see Andrew has applied a fix for this:

http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1150

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”