Screen Flashing

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

PiperPilotJohn

Screen Flashing

Post by PiperPilotJohn » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:48 am

I'm using the latest version (3.7.5) and am noticing a lot of screen flashing just within the canvas as I move the cursor around. The flashing doesn't seem to be causing any other problems, and I don't see items such as the menu or toolbars flashing. I'm running this on a late 2009 27-inch iMac running the latest version of the OS (10.10.1). This computer has a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 chip with 12 GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 ram. It uses the ATI Radeon HD 4850 video chipset with 512 MB of onboard vram.

Any ideas?

John
John

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Screen Flashing

Post by andrew » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:03 pm

Is this the case with a new, empty drawing or with a particular drawing?
In the latter case, could you attach or mail the drawing file please? Thanks.

PiperPilotJohn

Post by PiperPilotJohn » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:24 pm

It seems to flash with any drawing Andrew. With that said I am using the same template for all of these drawings so that may have an effect on the problem. I'm attaching a copy of one of the drawings that flashes. Thanks for looking into this.

John
Attachments
STOV Sound System 1.dwg
(92.48 KiB) Downloaded 426 times
John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 am

I wasn't able to reproduce that problem here on Mac OS X 10.1. I have almost identical hardware here.

Can you give an indication of how 'bad' that flashing is? Am I looking for something very obvious or more subtile? To what color does the graphics view change and is it only the graphics view that flashes? Thanks.

PiperPilotJohn

Post by PiperPilotJohn » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi Andrew - I guess I'm not surprised that you weren't able to reproduce it - that always happens to me when someone asks me to come help troubleshoot something that ALWAYS happens to them! e_confused Anyway, I thought I'd do a screen capture to show you the problem. See the attached file. In this case I just loaded the same drawing that I sent you and started moving the cursor around on the screen. You can see the white flashing within the drawing area window. The rest of the screen does not flash. It's pretty obvious. Hope this capture helps you to see the problem. Thanks.

John
Attachments

[The extension mov has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

John

Clive

Post by Clive » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:49 am

Hi
Are you getting this problem whilst using any other programs?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

PiperPilotJohn

Post by PiperPilotJohn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:15 am

No I'm not Clive. I do use a lot of other graphically intensive programs, such as Final Cut Pro X and Aperture and have never seen the flashing there.

John
John

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:08 am

So presumably this is only happening when you move the cursor around/zooming/panning etc. and doesn't happen when you do nothing ?

Sounds like it may be a video card issue ?

Also -are you using any hardware acceleration ?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

PiperPilotJohn

Post by PiperPilotJohn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:12 pm

Clive - yes, it only happens when I move the cursor around. I can't honestly say that it flashes while zooming and panning though. I've never seen it happen while actually executing any drawing commands and it never flashes if the screen is just sitting there without anything happening. Since this computer is an iMac there is no "video card" per se. See an earlier post for the video chip system integrated into the system. And again, since it's an iMac, there's no way to add any kind of hardware acceleration. And because I don't see this with any other graphically intensive programs, I doubt that I have a video system problem with the computer itself. Remember too that only the drawing canvas flashes - the window elements and menus, etc, do not flash.

Is there any kind of way that I can activate a debug mode to try to capture data on what might be happening? Are there some system settings I can adjust to more closely match the program to the video system in the Mac? The ATi Radeon video chip includes 512 MB of VRAM. Is it possible that the program is looking for more VRAM than that which is causing the flashing during screen updates? Although the flashing doesn't seem to affect anything, it is somewhat annoying which is why I'd like to come up with a solution! :-)

John
John

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:23 pm

One thing you could try is to reset QCAD to its default configuration by deleting the file /Users/your name/.config/QCAD/QCAD3.ini
Another thing I would try is to rule out individual tool bars and dock widgets as possible cause by hiding one after another and check if the problem persists (you can afterwards reset QCAD to its default configuration again by deleting the QCAD3.ini file).

Unfortunately, it's very difficult to fix problems that cannot be reproduced here, so it's very difficult to guess at this point what might be going on.

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi John

I'm not a mac user sorry for my ignorance here about the hardware etc. it was just a wild guess from my side.

Maybe try Andrews suggestions.

PiperPilotJohn

Post by PiperPilotJohn » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Clive and Andrew,

I do appreciate your suggestions and will try them out as time permits. As I've mentioned before, other than being a tad annoying, the flashing doesn't cause any problems with the functionality of the program. I will try your suggestions and play around a bit myself to see if I can eliminate the problem. I may also try running the program in a new, clean account on the Mac just to make sure that there isn't some sort of conflict with my current account. If I do come up with a solution I'll let you know.

John
John

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”