Insert Library Item or Paste Block into different drawing scales pasted item

If you are having problems with QCAD, post here. Please report bugs through our Bug Tracker instead.

Always attach your original DXF or DWG file and mentions your QCAD version and the platform you are on.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Reboot
Newbie Member

Insert Library Item or Paste Block into different drawing scales pasted item

Post by Reboot » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:02 pm

I'm new to QCAD and am really enjoying using it, but must be doing something wrong. I created some blocks in a block.dwg file. When I open that drawing, copy a block, and paste it into another drawing, the block is much larger than the original block. For example a block with a 30" line is scaled to a 274" line when pasted into another drawing. The scale at the top of the paste window is 1.

Since I had a problem with that, I created a library item. When I insert the library item into a drawing, the item is much smaller than the original. The scale at the top of the screen is 1, but the property scale when I click on the item is 0.2 and cannot be changed.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Insert Library Item or Paste Block into different drawing scales pasted item

Post by Husky » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:22 pm

Hello Reboot - welcome to the forum!
Reboot wrote:For example a block with a 30" line is scaled to a 274" line when pasted into another drawing. The scale at the top of the paste window is 1.
The "Drawing Unit" settings are identical in source and target file?
Menu / Edit / Drawing Preferences / General / Drawing Unit
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Reboot
Newbie Member

Re: Insert Library Item or Paste Block into different drawing scales pasted item

Post by Reboot » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:07 pm

Yes, both are set to Inch, Inch, Imperial.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:14 pm

Please post to this forum a source and a target file which shows this behavior. Thanks.
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Reboot
Newbie Member

Post by Reboot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:38 pm

Thank you for your quick responses.

I tested each of my drawings and discovered this issue only happened when pasting blocks into five of my drawings. When I pasted the same blocks into my other eight drawings the blocks remained the right size. I fixed my problem by copying the contents from my five "problem" drawings into blank drawings.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:43 pm

Sounds like you might have adjusted your drawing unit under:
Edit > Application Preferences > Defaults for New Drawings > Drawing Unit

Instead of:
Edit > Drawing Preferences > General > Drawing Unit

Reboot
Newbie Member

Post by Reboot » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:04 pm

You are right. Apparently I didn't follow Husky's instructions and went to Application instead of Drawing because I just checked and the settings for one of my "problem" drawings was set to None, Inch, Imperial instead of Inch, Inch, Imperial. The block remained the correct size when I pasted it into that drawing after changing the Drawing Unit from None to Inch.

Return to “QCAD Troubleshooting and Problems”