QCAD-Converting dxf file to work with Vinyl Cutter Plotters

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

jocpo

Post by jocpo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:44 pm

I use QCAD to create clocks dial templates for my son. I want to buy a vinyl cutter plotter to plot and make the templates/stencils. A tech person from a local firm was unable to use the dxf file or the various exported files. He suggested using Corel Draw or Illustrator to create the dials. I like QCAD and prefer to use it to create the work.

I saw on the RibbonSoft site a "vec2web download that converts files. I downloaded it but don't understand how to apply it to QCAD. Also I'm not sure this will solve my problem.

I run on QCAD on Macs-OS X Tiger and OS X Leopard.

Is there some easy and inexpensive solution to get the QCAD drawings to work with a vinyl cutter? I'm not a computer wizard but want to help my son out and do the dials and cutting.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 pm

What file format did the person from the local shop want or prefer?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:40 pm

I don't know what I need. I'm looking at a Graphtech vinyl cutter. When I met with the Graphtech sales person he tried to open all of the files that I brought. I even opened one of the jpeg files in Photoshop (exported from QCAD) and saved it as an EPS file. He was unable to open it with the cutter.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

I really like QCAD. It's simple and fast. I really don't want to create my dials with any other graphics program, but maybeI need to consider it.

I'll try to research this matter further and see if I can resolve it.

A bitmap saved as EPS does not contain any lines and arcs anymore (just pixels), so that's no good.

If the vinyl cutter accepts EPS files, you can create a PDF file with QCAD and convert that to EPS or create a PS file with a PS printer driver and convert that to EPS. EPS, PS and PDF are all closely related.

jocpo

Post by jocpo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:28 pm

I'll try some the file conversion methods you discussed.

Thanks for your prompt rely regarding this matter. When I resolve it, I'll share the solution with the forum.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”