Getting different font sizes and formats in dimensions

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

Gooserider

Getting different font sizes and formats in dimensions

Post by Gooserider » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:19 am

I'm working on drawing a floor plan for our house, and am running into some minor problems with dimensioning.

At times the dimension on a given object would be better if it were in a slightly smaller font size than the default I specified in my drawing preferences setup - however I can't find a way to change this, can it be done? (default is 7" and I'd like to be able to do some in around 4" to make it fit the drawing better)

Another issue I'm encountering is that I'm using "Architechtural" format, feet, inches, and fractions... If I have a short dimension (less than a foot) I still get the 0 foot measure - I've unchecked the box for trailing zeros, so I don't see those, is there an easy way to not get the LEADING zero? (I have found I can edit the content of the label, is there a way to do this automatically?)

Thanks
Gooserider
beginner

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 am

bump...
beginner

carlhelquist

Explode

Post by carlhelquist » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:46 pm

This isn't an elegant solution to your problem, but it will work: Explode the dimension that you would like to have a non-typical size, then change the text properties.

Carl Helquist

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:20 pm

Thanks Carl... I was hoping there would be a way to do it that would preseve the automatic sizing on the dimensions, but it doesn't seem to be able to do that, so I guess your approach is better than nothing.

Gooserider
beginner

carlhelquist

Dimension Styles

Post by carlhelquist » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:58 am

Yes, some sort of dimension style function would be very nice. For now maybe a useful strategy would be to keep the larger font size while the design is still in flux, even if it doesn't look that great. When the time comes to settle on a final design then go through and resize things where appropriate. Sort of a "First make it right, then make it pretty" strategy. Maybe not a great solution, but a workable one.

Carl Helquist

MiHeGo

Post by MiHeGo » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Hello,

Did you use the "Text Height" item in the "Measures" tab in the "Current drawing preferences" in "Edit" Menu ?

Michel
(PS oups for my translations of menu items as I'm using the french version of QCAD pro)

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:07 pm

Chanvrier wrote:Hello,

Did you use the "Text Height" item in the "Measures" tab in the "Current drawing preferences" in "Edit" Menu ?

Michel
(PS oups for my translations of menu items as I'm using the french version of QCAD pro)
Yes, and that is an important part of the task, as not getting that right gives totally unreadable sizes. The problem is that you can only set ONE height for all the dimension text in a drawing, and that can be a problem if you have a crowded area where a smaller size would be helpful.

Gooserider
beginner

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”