Hotkey memorization card deck available for all! (uses Anki software)

Tips and tricks you want to share with other users. Tutorials, user submitted documentation, etc.

Moderator: andrew

WraithGlade

Hotkey memorization card deck available for all! (uses Anki software)

Post by WraithGlade » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:24 pm

Hello everyone!

I created a self-quizzing memorization card deck for many of the hotkeys for QCAD.

I based it on the "cheatsheet" PDF that lists hotkeys for QCAD.

The card deck currently covers 296 different key bindings, but even that many doesn't actually cover them all.

I only put in the sequential two-key hotkey binding and left out common hotkeys like Ctrl+S and all other chord-based hotkeys.

It is also missing the UI category hotkeys (e.g. WP, WL, WC, etc) currently.

Anki is a very useful memorization software package that is generally freely available.

Perhaps some of you may find it to be useful and thus I'm posting it here as a community resources so that you don't have to waste hours creating such a card deck yourself.

QCAD hotkey memorization deck.zip
Contains self-quizzing memorization cards for many of QCAD's hotkeys (290+ of them).
(42.29 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

WraithGlade

Re: Hotkey memorization card deck available for all! (uses Anki software)

Post by WraithGlade » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:27 pm

I decided to add the missing window (category navigation) commands to the deck.

Those commands aren't in the QCAD hotkey cheatsheet, but really they are still useful when you know what category of action you want to do but can't remember the specific tool.

Really, I should have included these already in the first posting.

However, belatedly, here is a slightly better version of the memorization card deck that now includes the tool category navigation hotkeys too:

QCAD hotkey memorization deck.zip
Contains self-quizzing memorization cards for many of QCAD's hotkeys (310 of them).
(43.84 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Also, as a very helpful hint for working with Anki:

If you don't want to memorize a card yet you can set it to "suspended mode" and it won't be asked again until you manually unsuspend that card.

This is quite useful considering how huge the number of cards and hotkeys is!

Indeed, I recommend suspending a large number of the cards initially to focus on the areas of greatest value or interest and then expand later. That's what I'm doing in my own use of the deck.

Anki is designed to increasingly delay the amount of time it takes to ask you a question again each time you get it right, such that the total amount of amortized time you spend memorizing each item is minimized over time compared to if you quizzed all items at an equal rate. It is much faster than plain paper index cards for memorization and less burdensome (less time consuming) too.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:02 am

We are taking about
AnkiDroid or
Anki Pro?

AnkiDroid can't read your provided files and AnkiPro cost $30.00 a year ...
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:38 am

Husky wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:02 am
We are taking about
AnkiDroid or
Anki Pro?

AnkiDroid can't read your provided files and AnkiPro cost $30.00 a year ...
From this site - https://www.tofugu.com/reviews/anki/#:~ ... pplication. - "It's free on every platform except iOS, where it costs $24.99". and I can't find anything cost wise, or a Pro version, on this web site - https://apps.ankiweb.net/.
Pete Vickerstaff
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon, Qcad Pro 3.29.6

CVH
Premier Member

Post by CVH » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:21 pm

I can't grasp the complete picture ... But it is probably just me.

First you enter a request to display all the shortcut key-sequences over the tool buttons.
And a request to be able to speed up the Tooltips because there is an initial latency when hovering over tool buttons.

Reason 1: To always display all shortcuts key-sequences on screen because you don't want to look them up on the cheat sheet.
Reason 2: To not have to memorize various shortcuts.
Reason 3: Because when swapping between applications, hotkeys/shortcuts may have a complete different meaning what may be confusing.

But now you present a tool to learn all QCAD shortcuts by heart.

To be honest ...
I hardly use shortcuts, I don't enter WL for the line tools but I might simply click on the Line Tools button on the CAD Tools Toolbar.
I might ... But I rather hit the 'Lines from 2 Points' button of the Line Toolbar that is docked just above my drawing panel.
The result is the same as keying in LI, I know.
With the tool activated I need to indicate coordinates, primarily with snapping and only in rare cases with entering coordinates by typing.

Bottom line: I rather use the mouse instead of releasing it so that I am able to use the keyboard.

QCAD comes with a well equipped GUI that displays most things with self explanatory and easy to distinguish tool button icons.
Nobody wants to step back to ancient ACAD DOS behavior with entering all commands and coordinates by keying it in.

You can configure QCAD without most of those graphical aids, maximizing the drawing panel.
But then there are practically no buttons with shortcut overlays or with Tooltips, nothing to hover over.
Only then you need to know the tool shortcuts by heart especially when hiding the CAD Tools Toolbar regarding Snapping tools.
(BTW: Snapping tools have no W.. type shortcut but there is a Snap Toolbar)

So it is OR and not AND, there is no reason to memorize all shortcuts when everything is right in front of you and accessible with the cursor.
It is only required when crippling the GUI but then there is no need for feature requests that enhance the GUI.

Regards,
CVH

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:47 am

@Pete
Thanks, looks like AnkiDroid is the one for my Androide. However, I can't load/import those Qcad cards ... :(
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:43 am

Husky wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:47 am
@Pete
Thanks, looks like AnkiDroid is the one for my Androide. However, I can't load/import those Qcad cards ... :(
I've not actually tried the software Husky :roll: , I'll have a go at it later :wink: .
Pete Vickerstaff

petevick
Premier Member

Post by petevick » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:12 am

Husky wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:47 am
@Pete
I got it working, I imported the Qcad cards, closed Anki down, reopened and there they were.

It's not something I'll be using as I don't use that many shortcuts, but I'm sure it'll be useful for some users. I certainly appreciate the time and effort put in by you WraithGlade to create these cards.
Pete Vickerstaff

Return to “QCAD Tips and Tutorials”