Saved files invisible to Operating System

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

bretheilig
Newbie Member

Saved files invisible to Operating System

Post by bretheilig » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 am

I very recently downloaded the demo, bought the full version, installed the full version, then deleted the installed demo.

When I try to save or export anything, or even create a directory via file dialog, it appears in the relevant file dialog, but not in the Operating System's directory tree. I can close the program, re-open it, and all my files can be reloaded just fine, but I cannot, for example, find a file and copy it, move it, email it, any of that. The files and directories don't appear in the open windows where they should.

It's as though QCAD can see everything it has done, but Windows can't see anything QCAD has done.

Windows Vista SP2
QCAD: Version: 2.2.2.0
[Professional]
Date: Aug 27 2008
(c) 2001-2008 by RibbonSoft GmbH,
Andrew Mustun
http://www.ribbonsoft.com
Modules: Scripting
Qt Version: 4.4.1

bretheilig
Newbie Member

Post by bretheilig » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:19 am

I have now found -some- of the files. They were in C:/Users/[username]/.qcad/

No clue why this is happening. Some folders, and all the exported pngs are still missing.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:54 am

When saving a file under Windows, you can choose in which directory you want to save it. The files will then be saved in that directory. If you need to find a file later, look in that very same directory. A directory is for example "c:\data".

Note that the Windows find tool (little dog) is broken, always has been.

bretheilig
Newbie Member

Post by bretheilig » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 pm

Hi Andrew, the little dog appears in Windows XP, I have Windows Vista.

Thanks for the suggestion about how a directory structure works, but I already understand that. What I'm saying is that the files aren't appearing where I save them. In fact, some of them are appearing somewhere else completely.

Any other suggestions? Thanks very much for your time :)

Bret

bretheilig
Newbie Member

Post by bretheilig » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:33 pm

Another thing I noticed: even though I deleted the 'QCad Professional Demo', it still appears where it used to be when I view it through a QCad File Dialog. It's as though QCad took a snapshot of my hard drive, and can't see the changes that have occurred, unless it made them.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”