layer confusion, missing entities

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

LeoP

layer confusion, missing entities

Post by LeoP » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Qcad 2.2.2.0 Professional on Ubuntu 8.0.4.

I have a (rather complex) drawing with a lot of layers. In an attempt to bring order to chaos, I created blocks (select items, create block, enter reference point, enter name). Then, because I forgot to select the correct layer in advance, change their layer to "drawing" with the property editor. So far, so good.

After a save and reload of the drawing, the fills in one of the blocks are suddenly missing for no apparent reason. Maybe the fill layer was off while saving, I can't rember (but that should not have mattered, right?).

When I want to edit that block to add the fills again, I am stumped to see that some entities seem to reside on the combination of layers "0" and "fill outlines": when either layer is turned off, the entities (which, according to the Property Editor, reside on layer "fill outlines") do not show. This behaviour is completly new to me...

The worst thing: this happens quite frequently, in defferent drawings. And in full compliance with Murphy's Law, the deadline is this afternoon...

Can anyone please explain to me what is going on here?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:00 am

The FAQ might shed some light on this:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad_doc_faq.html#19

-> 19. My block / insert / entities within a block appear to be on more than one layer.

LeoP

Post by LeoP » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:36 am

Alas, that did not clarify it for me:

In the main drawing I have only a few points and two inserts of a center line marker on layer 0; everything else, including other block inserts, is on other layers (according to the property editor).

Inside the blocks there are no entities on layer 0 (at least, not according to the property editor).

If I toggle the visibility of layer 0 in the main drawing, only the entities and inserts that are on that layer disappear (as expected). However, if I toggle the visibility of layer 0 while inside a block, all entities, on all layers, disappear from the screen.

Just checked: same on the old Win2k box.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”