Default layout and printer problems.

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

LuisC-SM

Default layout and printer problems.

Post by LuisC-SM » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:56 pm

Hi.
There are a couple of things that are annoying me.

1. The first one is that I cannot set the paper size to say "Letter" instead of "A4" every time I open QCad. Can you please give me some idea on how I can fix this?

2. My printer is recognized by QCad and every time I try to print in the command line tells me that it's been printed but nothing happens.
I looked for the workaround posted earlier to export as a PDF but I've seen this has been already fixed in the new version (QCad v2.1.3.2) but I still can't print.

I had some problems earlier with QCad and Gnome but everything is fixed by now, I even have the new Qt 4 libraries and QCad acts like in KDE now. So I think it has nothing to do with Gnome.

Can you please give me an idea on how to fix this issue?

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

webrider

Post by webrider » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:42 pm

Can't help with your printer issues because I use winxp.

The paper size is stored in the document you save. Just make a dummy document that has all the drawing preferences defined as you like, then open that document each time and save as your new document name to start a new drawing.

The dimensions data is just as important as the paper size. There is a good write up on this subject at:

http://www.thecadtrain.com/newbiesetup.htm

Fix the obvious with the setup requirements and maybe the not so obvious print problem will disappear. This is just a general rule that I have found to help in many cases, though not necessarily in your particular print issues case.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by webrider on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LuisC-SM

Post by LuisC-SM » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:08 am

Hi webrider
Thanks a lot (and I mean it) for answering my post :)
webrider wrote:Can't help with your printer issues because I use winxp..
I was expecting Andrew to post back, however, I really appreciate i your help. It seems that this is not only my issue, all the responses I've seen is to export as PDF and then print it. That's a real nice workaround ever since some versions before, but I was thinking "Andrew" would come up with something very bright. I understand he is very busy programing new bug fixes and enhancements but...... ever since I re-installed QCad and started to work flawlessly... I CAN'T PRINT!!!!!!!!!!! I have read over and over thru all forum and have found nothing except the workaround to convert the file as a PDF document and then print it as such
The paper size is stored in the document you save. Just make a dummy document that has all the drawing preferences defined as you like, then open that document each time and save as your new document name to start a new drawing..
I guess you mean something like a template, ok.. I can deal with that.. thanks a lot (y)
The dimensions data is just as important as the paper size. There is a good write up on this subject at http://www.thecadtrain.com/newbie%20setup.htm..
Your link is not longer working .... sorry
Fix the obvious with the setup requirements and maybe the not so obvious print problem will disappear.

Hope this helps.
I was very happy reading you until I saw this!!!! I don't really know what you mean with this but............... let me tell u one thing (ok maybe 2).
The setup requirements are already covered!!!!!! The print issue ... it's AN ISSUE!!!!
I can wait 1 or 2 or maybe 3 years for this issue to be fixed, that is not a single problem for me but!!!!!!!!!!1, i' would've lprefered to get some feedback from the developer (notice that I'm very thankfully with you webrider) as far as when I asked for some buying details, He was the only one in answering back, so this time (even if He is very busy at ... whatever) I'm really dissapointed as far as I was only expecting the truth... and as I said before... I can always live with that!!!!

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

webrider

Post by webrider » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:19 pm

LuisC-SM

Sorry about that link. The period at the end is what broke the link. It should be:

http://www.thecadtrain.com/newbiesetup.htm

I edited my previous message so as not to down-play your print issues. I didn't mean to infer that you have no problem. I just meant that after many years of repairing main-frame computer problems, this rule has proved reliable. Fix the obvious, and the not-so-obvious many times goes away; but not always.

Good luck with your print problems.

WinXP has a few small issues also. Can you use most of the two-letter comands in your operating system? Can you fill an ellipse in your operating system? Just curious because both are broke in WinXP using latest QCad version. These issues are minor and the program is an excellent product overall.

I am also frustrated that the author doesn't respond to these issues. Just like you, I would appreciate just a quick acknowledgement "it is broke and we know about it". That would make me happy too. Maybe if enough of us say that, then maybe Andrew will respond so we can have closure that our problem is not unique to us, or simply something that we are doing wrong.
Last edited by webrider on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LuisC-SM

Post by LuisC-SM » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:44 pm

webrider wrote:LuisC-SM

Sorry about that link. The period at the end is what broke the link. It should be:

http://www.thecadtrain.com/newbie%20setup.htm
Thanks a lot. This is a gold mine of resources :D
I edited my previous message so as not to down-play your print issues. I didn't mean to infer that you have no problem. I just meant that after many years of repairing main-frame computer problems, this rule has proved reliable. Fix the obvious, and the not-so-obvious many times goes away; but not always.
Later I realized your words, Your are just right !!!
WinXP has a few small issues also. Can you use most of the two-letter comands in your operating system? Can you fill an ellipse in your operating system? Just curious because both are broke in WinXP using latest QCad version. These issues are minor and the program is an excellent product overall.
The two-letter commands I've not used them at all, however I'll provide some feedback ASAP. the ellipse can't be filled up in any way, I think this issue has to be with a broken point but that's only my opinion
I am also frustrated that the author doesn't respond to these issues. Just like you, I would appreciate just a quick acknowledgement "it is broke and we know about it". That would make me happy too. Maybe if enough of us say that, then maybe Andrew will respond so we can have closure that our problem is not unique to us, or simply something that we are doing wrong.
Agreed. I like this piece of software, It really fulfills my needs, and I believe Andrew is a really good developer, and I also believe that he must be dealing with his own demons but we are the customers, we are the people who can gvve him the correct feedback and the most important but not the last is that we made this work possible as we are the ones who pay :lol: we are the ones that deserve all the attention and respect.

Again, thanks a lot for your words and Ill be posting back any comments to your given link.

Kind Regards

Luis C. Suárez

PS. Andrew... Please please please post any workaraound you have for such issues.[/quote]

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”