Lost drawings

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

Tom Brown
Newbie Member

Lost drawings

Post by Tom Brown » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:47 am

I'm having a problem that I really hope isn't a bug. I've used QCAD quite a bit but not for about 3 years.

KUbuntu 8.04 - 64 bit, AMD 9850, 8 GB RAM

I did some drafting with a limited amount of basic geometry and perhaps 8 or 9 layers. Everything looked good, I saved it a bunch of times, and exited QCAD. When I open it, it shows 2 layers and one of them is empty.

Thinking I had lost everything, I did it again. Same result.

... so I drafted everything a third time at work. Looked good. Copied the file to USB key. Come home. Open it. Same result.

The document is a basic real estate site survey with a square where the house is, a square where the garage is, other outbuildings, etc. It's *basic*.

I would appreciate any insight you can offer.

Thanks!

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:49 am

If possible, please send us the file(s) to info [at] ribbonsoft [dot] com.

Please indicate the QCAD version(s) that are involved as well as the platform you are using (Windows, Linux or Mac OS X) in every kind of problem report.

Tom Brown
Newbie Member

Post by Tom Brown » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Thank you.

File sent. :)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks.

The file you have sent seems to contain one rectangle on one layer.

Note that you are using QCAD 2.0.5.0 (community edition) which is compiled and provided to you by your Linux distributor. For that reason we cannot provide support for the community edition. You might want to report the problem to your Linux distributor. They might have patched the sources in some way.

Tom Brown
Newbie Member

Post by Tom Brown » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:31 pm

Thanks, Andrew. That file should have tons of items in it and the rectangle should not be in layer 0.

If I were to buy QCAD Pro + CAM Expert, what guarantee would I have that they will work properly (at least without any show stopping bugs) for me to draft simple objects and export code to my EMC2 powered mill?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:39 pm

Please try the free demo version:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad_downloads.html

It is fully functional, including save and load. We have actually never had any similar reports from neither QCAD Community nor QCAD Professional users. The problem is that Linux distributors tend to ship things if they compile, not if they work (understandably so, given the amount of software they provide).

sjfloat
Newbie Member

Post by sjfloat » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:27 am

I can concur. The very same thing happened to me. I lost a lot of work. I am very reluctant to use it again.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:21 am

sjfloat: Community editions are not provided by RibbonSoft and are unsupported. Use at own risk.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”