How I can get rid of the print-margin blue lines?

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

ABC
Newbie Member

How I can get rid of the print-margin blue lines?

Post by ABC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi, I always need to:
1. view the actual printing area while I work

2. work on custom page dimensions, that represent the actual printing area

So I have set the dimensions for a custom page and I also have clicked on File / Print preview and I'm able to work (although I've just started to test qcad -I'm not even sure I won't have a problem with the print preview always on)...
BUT, a blue-line frame is displayed inside that area, obviously representing an arbitrary margin which I can't even find where I can disable it.
I have exported to PDF and the full page is exported without the blue lines, but the blue lines appear above my drawing when I work.

Any hints?

Windows 7 64 home premium, Qcad 3.9.4 free.
Attachments
margin-lines.png
margin-lines.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 10339 times

andrew
Site Admin

Re: How I can get rid of the print-margin blue lines?

Post by andrew » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 pm

The white rectangle in the print preview represents the total paper size. The blue rectangle is generally meant to represent the printable area, but can also be configured to show something else if desired.

Here's what I would recommend:
- Edit > Drawing Preferences > Printing > Page
Check and adjust the paper size to represent the total size of the paper you're printing on (regardless of printable area). For example A4:
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 19.43.36.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 19.43.36.png (118.58 KiB) Viewed 10328 times
- Edit > Drawing Preferences > Printing > Multi Pages > Glue Margins (In QCAD > 3.29.4: Edit > Drawing Preferences > Printing > Page > Margins)
Check and adjust the glue margins. You might simply want to click "Set to Printer Margins" to make sure the margins show the area that is guaranteed to be printable:
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 19.45.32.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 19.45.32.png (109.65 KiB) Viewed 10328 times
If you find the actual paper size unnecessary, you can hide it by using the appropriate toggle button at the top in the print preview:
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 19.48.24.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 19.48.24.png (39.16 KiB) Viewed 10328 times
This leaves you with one single rectangle with blue borders showing the printable area only in the print preview.

ABC
Newbie Member

Post by ABC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:23 pm

Thanks, but there is no "Multi pages" option in the free version of Qcad - note that in the setup I had chosen to install only the free features.
Attachments
nomultipages.png
nomultipages.png (15.08 KiB) Viewed 10327 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:37 am

Hallo,
ABC wrote:Hi, I always need to:
1. view the actual printing area while I work
2. work on custom page dimensions, that represent the actual printing area

So I have set the dimensions for a custom page and I also have clicked on File / Print preview and I'm able to work ...

... Any hints?
Right now I don't understand what the point is to work in the Print preview mode ...

Whats wrong with using a particular layer for the customized page size and switching this layer to invisible before printing?
Husky-2015.06.11-01.png
Husky-2015.06.11-01.png (22.14 KiB) Viewed 10307 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ABC
Newbie Member

Post by ABC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:27 pm

Right now I don't understand what the point is to work in the Print preview mode ...

Whats wrong with using a particular layer for the customized page size and switching this layer to invisible before printing?
I was just used to another app that provided this (vector drawing, but I've seen a couple of cad apps too), so I was searching for the same thing, but you're right the work can be done by drawing a rectangle on another layer instead (although I still prefer to not see the redundant white area around), thanks. Speaking of layers, that's the first time I see an app without an option to move a layer up or down!

EDIT: I just saw that there are 'move to front' / 'back' commands (m,f m,b) so I can use that for my current project, but layer ordering is crucial for making a final drawing composed by several layers.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Post by Husky » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:56 pm

ABC wrote:... (although I still prefer to not see the redundant white area around), thanks.
The only and best thing to avoid this effect in QCAD is to use the View / Auto Zoom functionality. Design your "page size Layer" with the proper measurements" and click View / Auto Zoom and you will see what I'm talking about ... :wink:
Husky-2015.06.11-03.png
Husky-2015.06.11-03.png (15.68 KiB) Viewed 10291 times
ABC wrote:Speaking of layers, that's the first time I see an app without an option to move a layer up or down!

EDIT: I just saw that there are 'move to front' / 'back' commands (m,f m,b) so I can use that for my current project, but layer ordering is crucial for making a final drawing composed by several layers.
The layer ordering in QCAD is corresponding to the alphanumeric system. In my case I use Layer Names with prefix Numbers to force QCAD to use my desired layer chronology.
Husky-2015.06.11-01.png
Husky-2015.06.11-01.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 10291 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

ABC
Newbie Member

Post by ABC » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:51 pm

The layer ordering in QCAD is corresponding to the alphanumeric system. In my case I use Layer Names with prefix Numbers to force QCAD to use my desired layer chronology.
Husky-2015.06.11-01.png
Thanks, that was very helpful!

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”