Using trim on rectangles or hash marks

Use this forum for all posts and questions about the free QCAD Community Edition version 3

Moderator: andrew

Ryan
Registered Member

Using trim on rectangles or hash marks

Post by Ryan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Hello,

I am using Qcad recently to create shop drawings for masonry walls. I have a few questions regarding the tools and achieving a simple workflow. I hope you can assist in this matter!
Thus far I have been very impressed with Qcad. Having never delved into Cad software before, it is also slightly daunting. I have grasped a good amount of concepts, but am still lacking in a few areas. Namely the ability to delete un-needed lines, or understanding hash tool a bit better.

As a simple first question, is there a way to add to selections? Many other programs use the Cntrl button to add to selections. Click on a line, press and hold cntrl, click on next line and it adds to selection. It works in revers if using the Alt button. is there a similar function in Qcad? All I can do is simple select with one click, or area select. however if I have lines that fall within an area... I am at a loss as to how to select only certain lines. Please Advise. Below is my main question:

In Example A (of the attachment) I have a simple rectangle. To my understanding the trim tool is what I am looking for, however it only works on arcs, circles, splines, or lines. So how would I delete portion 2? Aside from manually adjusting the lengths of the individual lines to the cutting lines intersection.

In example B the same question applies, but with the addition of a hatch infill. Is it possible to "cut" a hatch? or must one simply delete the hatch, adjust the perimeter, and then reapply the hatch?

The bottom of the picture shows what I am trying to achieve. By using the import tool I am essentially creating a floor plan showing CMU blocks to be laid in a wall.

In a separate file I created a single 8" CMU block to scale. Then I saved that file as its own .dxf file. In my plans I import the .dxf file/ block and either place it as many times as I want, or copy it along the line. The problem is a lot of times I need to "Cut" one of the blocks somewhere in between. I have been doing it manually, but am wondering if there is an easier way to do this other than: deleting the hatch pattern, moving the end points of the lines to the cut line, re-applying the hash pattern to the new shape.

Now as an alternative that I have considered, but have no idea how to implement, I noticed there is a way to select the pattern for hatch area. There is even a pattern I use that I have noticed many architects use for masonry that works completely to scale for elevation views! Pattern AR-B816. Might there be a way to create a custom hatch pattern and use that (on a correctly measured rectangle) to achieve the desired effect I am trying to implement? If it is possible to create your own hatch patterns, where might those need to be saved and in what format? I look forward greatly to your reply. Thank you!
Attachments
Qcad Example.JPG
Qcad Example.JPG (194.08 KiB) Viewed 6869 times

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Using trim on rectangles or hash marks

Post by Husky » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:12 am

Hello Ryan - welcome to the forum!
Ryan wrote:As a simple first question, is there a way to add to selections? Many other programs use the Cntrl button to add to selections. Click on a line, press and hold cntrl, click on next line and it adds to selection. It works in revers if using the Alt button. is there a similar function in Qcad? All I can do is simple select with one click, or area select. however if I have lines that fall within an area... I am at a loss as to how to select only certain lines. Please Advise.
Yes - you can use the shift key to select or de-select single entities.
Ryan wrote:In Example A (of the attachment) I have a simple rectangle. To my understanding the trim tool is what I am looking for, however it only works on arcs, circles, splines, or lines. So how would I delete portion 2? Aside from manually adjusting the lengths of the individual lines to the cutting lines intersection.
No - the trim tools are in this case not the right way to go. Check out the "Break out" tools (Modify) like "Break out segment" etc.
Ryan wrote:In example B the same question applies, but with the addition of a hatch infill. Is it possible to "cut" a hatch? or must one simply delete the hatch, adjust the perimeter, and then reapply the hatch?
No, it isn't possible to "cut" a hatch. Delete the old hatch, select a new perimeter, draw a new hatch would be the easiest way. From time to time it helps to use the "Stretch tool" on an existing hatch but that is only in exceptional situation possible.
Ryan wrote:The bottom of the picture shows what I am trying to achieve. By using the import tool I am essentially creating a floor plan showing CMU blocks to be laid in a wall.
I would use the "Block" function of QCAD. Just select "one" of the CMU Block, "Create a block from selection" (Menu Block), Insert (from the Block list) this new block into your drawing, use in the option bar the "Array of block" function and give the dialog window all information about the considered array. If you need to modify only one CMU Block (e.g. the end block) than you need to "explode" this block first. The Block function in QCAD is powerful and a time saver - you should spent a little bit time on it to understand how it works. It pays! :wink:
Ryan wrote:Now as an alternative that I have considered, but have no idea how to implement, I noticed there is a way to select the pattern for hatch area. There is even a pattern I use that I have noticed many architects use for masonry that works completely to scale for elevation views! Pattern AR-B816. Might there be a way to create a custom hatch pattern and use that (on a correctly measured rectangle) to achieve the desired effect I am trying to implement? If it is possible to create your own hatch patterns, where might those need to be saved and in what format? I look forward greatly to your reply. Thank you!
There is currently not a direct way to create in QCAD your own hatch pattern. If you have or find a pattern which would work for you and is compatible with QCAD then you can put it in the Hatch directory - but I don't think that you will really find usable hatch pattern in the Internet but I'm open for surprises .... :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Return to “QCAD Community Edition”