Best file format for saving drawings

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

apjjr

Best file format for saving drawings

Post by apjjr » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:58 pm

I know that the format can be dictated by the use of the file, but I was wondering what format others like/dislike to use and why as QCAD supports multiple formats. The DWG format is about 15% of the size of the DXF for the file on which I am working, so I will be inclined to use it for space savings.
I'd like to know what others think.
--Alex

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Re: Best file format for saving drawings

Post by Husky » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 am

Hi Alex,

usually I use the dxf format but I'm also more than happy to have the possibility in QCad to switch to the dwg file typ.

Why? This article explains pretty good the difference between dxf and dwg.

http://www.scan2cad.com/use-dwg-dxf/

I exchange around the world dxf files ... without any problems. :D

P.s.: Regarding the File size: Yes, I know that a dwg is less in size but these days HDD storage is cheap and the www is fast. :wink:
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi Alex

Good topic. For me I use the dxf format more frequent than using DWG mainly because I can send dxf files directly to the laser cutters, quite often cnc driven devices will play better with dxf than dwg.

@andrew, hey just had an idea, how about a QCAD only file format option as well?

If only for novelty!
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

spatz

Post by spatz » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:03 pm

Hello,

I also prefer the dxf file format because of it's plain text structure. Thus you can replace strings such as layer/block names in batch mode from the command line (or from a capable text editor). This is indeed very useful for me when developing satisfying layer names in multiple existing drawings :roll: .

Stephan

apjjr

Post by apjjr » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:56 pm

After reading the article Husky posted and the other posts, I'd venture a guess that DXF is the best format to use. :wink:
That is the format I have been using. I was just wondering as a few of my files have grown to more than a mega-byte in size, but as Husky pointed out, disk space is cheap and the internet is fast.

Return to “Chat”