How do I know the dimensions of a line, box circle as I draw

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in the QCAD Community Edition.

Moderator: andrew

Douglish
Registered Member

How do I know the dimensions of a line, box circle as I draw

Post by Douglish » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:00 am

I am migrating from Windows to Linux (Suse 10.2 64bit) and am accustomed to using TurboCad. I am not a professional, but am making drawings of am airplane I am building.

In TCad, as I draw a circle (box, line, whatever) the dimensions show on a status bar below as I draw, or alternatively I can press tab and enter the size I require. As I finish I know this box is 2 x3 and can proceed to draw another of 4 x 5 then add a line of 15 angled precisely at 32 degrees. I can then select a box and rotate it to also be 32 degrees.

I cannot find this information anywhere, so I can draw a couple boxes that look about right and a line at any old angle, but never know WHAT THAT RESULTING ANGLE IS.

Have I missed installing a status bar?

Where do I find how to turn on the rulers on the drawing paper?

I have missed something substantial.

When I import a TCad drawing as a DXF, YES Qcad acknowledges the sizes of a component, but I can only check that by running a measuring tool on it, whereas in TCad i can select that component and the status bar tells me the 'x and y dimensions' of any selected item.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: How do I know the dimensions of a line, box circle as I

Post by andrew » Fri May 04, 2007 9:31 am

You might want to enable the preferences widget (QCad Professional) to get more information about one or more selected entities.

While drawing, you can enter coordinates ("snap to coordinate" function in QCad Pro or enter coordinate "x,y" or "@x,y" (relative) in command line).

Note that QCad is not trying to imitate any other CAD system, so it will take some time to get used to it.

Thanks for the input anyway. It will help me to improve QCad in future releases.
Douglish wrote:I am migrating from Windows to Linux (Suse 10.2 64bit) and am accustomed to using TurboCad. I am not a professional, but am making drawings of am airplane I am building.

In TCad, as I draw a circle (box, line, whatever) the dimensions show on a status bar below as I draw, or alternatively I can press tab and enter the size I require. As I finish I know this box is 2 x3 and can proceed to draw another of 4 x 5 then add a line of 15 angled precisely at 32 degrees. I can then select a box and rotate it to also be 32 degrees.

I cannot find this information anywhere, so I can draw a couple boxes that look about right and a line at any old angle, but never know WHAT THAT RESULTING ANGLE IS.

Have I missed installing a status bar?

Where do I find how to turn on the rulers on the drawing paper?

I have missed something substantial.

When I import a TCad drawing as a DXF, YES Qcad acknowledges the sizes of a component, but I can only check that by running a measuring tool on it, whereas in TCad i can select that component and the status bar tells me the 'x and y dimensions' of any selected item.

Return to “QCAD Community 'How Do I' Questions”