Multi Divide option ?

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Clive

Multi Divide option ?

Post by Clive » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am

This is a suggestion to add an extra option to enable a 'Multi Divide' for the Divide tool. Normally I would just add a feature request for this but I am interested to know if others would find this useful or not, all feedback welcome :) .

Here's my example of where this may be useful. Below you can see my little basic design for a fan trellis (yes the sun is out now in the UK and I'm improving the garden 8) ), in the screenshot you can see in the Red circle I have edited and got this part in my drawing how I want it to be. All that remains down this right hand side is to change the other parts in the yellow circles to be correct too.

Here's the thing, as part of my drawing method for doing this I need to use the divide tool to split up this line of trellis at certain points (yellow circles),the divide tool is my choice for this but it only allows me to make a divide once ... after this I have to re-select the the line in order to make another divide!
An option to allow a persistent or multiple divide along a pre-selected entity would be much more efficient :wink:
Trellis - Multi 'Divide' request.png
Trellis - Multi 'Divide' request.png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Multi Divide option ?

Post by andrew » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:46 am

Clive wrote:An option to allow a persistent or multiple divide along a pre-selected entity would be much more efficient :wink:
Thanks for the suggestion!

If I understand you correctly, there might be a logical problem with this:
After the first division, the original entity is no longer there - it has been replaced by three new entities. Which of the three new entities should the tool now use to divide further?

My alternative suggestion for this sort of problem would be a tool that splits one single chosen entity at all intersection points along the entity. Would that make sense in your situation?

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:54 am

andrew wrote:If I understand you correctly, there might be a logical problem with this:After the first division, the original entity is no longer there - it has been replaced by three new entities. Which of the three new entities should the tool now use to divide further?
Ah, yes I see what you mean, thanks.
andrew wrote:My alternative suggestion for this sort of problem would be a tool that splits one single chosen entity at all intersection points along the entity. Would that make sense in your situation?
Yes absolutely, that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks Andrew, this is why you are the developer and I'm in the garden (or you may wish you were in your garden too :lol: ).
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:06 am

Clive wrote:Yes absolutely, that's exactly what I'm looking for, thanks Andrew, this is why you are the developer and I'm in the garden (or you may wish you were in your garden too :lol: ).
Well, I'm only a few cycling minutes from the beautiful dunes (http://www.np-zuidkennemerland.nl) or the beach. So that's where I usually head to if I need fresh air and new inspiration ;)

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:15 am

What a wonderful looking place Andrew,fantastic as you say for fresh air and clearing the mind.We certainly all need these nearby places to unwind a little bit. You just need to make sure you get no Tyre punctures :wink:.

Return to “QCAD Suggestions and Feedback”