Copy Entity

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

kgbridge
Registered Member

Copy Entity

Post by kgbridge » Sat May 03, 2008 7:01 am

I have just upgraded from QCad 2.1 to 2.2. It appears the copy function has changed. When I select an entity to copy, it no longer allows me to set a reference point. Therefore when pasted back into drawing I cannot achieve any precision.

Is there another way of doing this or is this a bug in the new version?

Best wishes

Keith

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat May 03, 2008 9:22 am

This has been changed because many users did not understand the concept of the copy function with a reference point and reported it as being broken (this has been the number one "bug" report for a long time). It now works more like in other applications.

If you have a quick glimpse at the "Edit" menu, you will find that there is a new menu "Copy with reference" (rc, Ctrl-Shift-C). This works just like copy used to work in older QCad versions.

kgbridge
Registered Member

Copy Entity

Post by kgbridge » Sat May 03, 2008 9:31 am

Cheers Andrew for the quick reply. I hadn't noticed the change.

Best regards,
Keith

lathanial

Post by lathanial » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:58 pm

I just purchased the professional version and ran into problems copying entities. I understand about the change in the copy procedure and the addition of copy with reference point but I think theres a bug in the the copy function (or quite possibly I'm confused). Here's what I'm doing and am having a problem with.
1) I select the entity to copy
2) Control-c
3) Control-v
4) set reference point on command line: @10<0

I think this should paste the entity @ 10 units to the right but that isn't what happens. It seems to place the entity 5 units to the right and 5 units up. I went back to the community version and it seems to work OK. It's sort of like there is a default reference on the entity and it seems to divide the distance by 2. If I ask it to place the entity 20 units to the right it places it 10 units to the right and 10 units up.

If I'm doing something wrong please help me out. I may not have the right idea about the relative zero point. If it's a bug I can work around and anxiously await the fix.

Thanks
lathanial

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Here's one way how you can do this:

1) I select the entity to copy
2) Control-Shift-c (copy with reference point)
2b) Choose reference point at absolute zero point (0,0)
3) Control-v
4) set reference point on command line: 10<0

Note that relative coordinates are relative to the relative zero point (small red circle with cross hair inside).

lathanial

Post by lathanial » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:07 pm

Thanks for the quick response Andrew.
Your suggestion works. I played around a little more and discovered that there is a default reference point in the entity - it is the center of the entity. I was trying to copy a rectangle and didn't think about the reference point being in the center.. QCad apparently establishes a center point for polygons which is great but if I need to set the relative zero point to the center the option isn't available. That would be a nice feature if you could add it. In any case, the copy operation I was trying works correctly for circles and line segments with the relative zero point set to the center or midpoint.

Thanks for your help,
lathanial

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”