Infinite Line / Ray - Break out understanding ...

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Husky
Moderator/Drawing Help/Testing

Infinite Line / Ray - Break out understanding ...

Post by Husky » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:41 pm

Right now I don't understand this behavior - maybe somebody could point me in the right direction why it works on this way.

If I draw three entities - a line - a infinite line and a Ray and try then to use the Break out segment tools the result confuse me.

First of all: The Auto trim tool doesn't works on infinite lines and rays without any warning. Why it doesn't works - I don't know? :oops:

Second of all:
My test-drawing is this one:
Husky-2014.07.25-02.png
Husky-2014.07.25-02.png (2.22 KiB) Viewed 16529 times
If I use the "Break out Segment" tool it will work for the "Line" on the left side and for the "Infinite Line" and "Ray" on the right side from the vertical yellow line. Why isn't it working always on the same side?
Husky-2014.07.25-04.png
Husky-2014.07.25-04.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 16529 times
Work smart, not hard: QCad Pro
Win10/64, QcadPro, QcadCam version: Current.
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Infinite Line / Ray - Break out understanding ...

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 am

Thanks for your report.

I've moved this to the bug tracker at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1078

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:24 pm

Quick fix (replaces scripts/ShapeAlgorithms.js):
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qcad/ ... orithms.js

Husky

Post by Husky » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 pm

I wasn't sure: Is it me or is it a bug ... 8)

Fix works great for break out's. Thank you!

Now I have also notice that ...

1. I can't use the Stretch tool correctly at a Ray / Infinite Line ... :(
2. Selected Ray / Infinite Lines are providing me the two blue "Handle points" at the beginning of the line: Smart!!! :wink:

Before I used the Stretch tool ...
Husky-2014.07.28-02.png
Husky-2014.07.28-02.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 16491 times
after I used the Stretch tool to move the rectangle to the left ...
Husky-2014.07.28-03.png
Husky-2014.07.28-03.png (2.52 KiB) Viewed 16491 times
If a thread is considered as "solved" please change the title of the first post to "[solved] Title..."

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:27 am

The entities in the first images are no longer a ray and an infinite line but a regular line and three rays.

Stretching is defined as 'moving all end points within a given area while not changing the position of end point outside that area'.

For XLines, stretching has no effect since infinite lines have by definition no endpoints.

For rays, stretching currently has no effect either, since there is no other endpoint which could remain fixed (like for lines). Arguably, stretching a ray should probably simply move the base point if the base point is within the area, thereby moving the entire ray. I'll look into that and check how other CAD systems define stretching for rays.

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for this logical explanation - it makes sense!

Yes please, check out how other CAD systems handle this issue and keep me (us) posted.

Husky

Post by Husky » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Hi,

regarding to this topic - "Auto Trim (AX) doesn't works on ray and infinite lines? :(

Husky

Post by Husky » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:59 am

Husky wrote:Hi,

regarding to this topic - "Auto Trim (AX) doesn't works on ray and infinite lines? :(
Hmm - no answer means that is on purpose? Without any warnings? Just nothing happens when I use the tool?

I would really like to see this working but I'm still not sure what I have to file: A Bug or a Feature request ...

Clive

Post by Clive » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:51 am

Husky wrote:

Hmm - no answer means that is on purpose? Without any warnings? Just nothing happens when I use the tool?

I would really like to see this working but I'm still not sure what I have to file: A Bug or a Feature request ...
Hi Husky

Just curious, why would you want to use Autotrim on a ray/infinite line, usually these are used for construction purposes?
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:01 am

Hi Clive,
Clive wrote:Hi Husky

Just curious, why would you want to use Autotrim on a ray/infinite line ...
... because it makes my life easier! 8)

Remember the functionality of the "Break out segment" tool. Used on an infinite line it will change - in dependency where it was used - the infinite line in rays and/or regular lines. The same behavior on a ray - I can break down a ray to a regular line. The nice thing about this - there are no longer just "Construction Lines" and I can use them like all other lines in my drawing.
Time and mouse click saver! :wink:

But, it would be much nicer if I also could use the "Auto Trim" tool for my "Construction" Rays and infinite lines. Of course - they have to convert to regular lines - but that is actually what I'm looking for.

Think about this simple test drawing:
This is the starting situation:
Worldhusky-2014.12.03-01.png
Worldhusky-2014.12.03-01.png (9.56 KiB) Viewed 15560 times
This is the goal (to create a horizontal line (2) between the right vertical line pair:
Worldhusky-2014.12.03-02.png
Worldhusky-2014.12.03-02.png (10.31 KiB) Viewed 15560 times
All information what I have is that this Line (2) has to be 150 units above the green Line (1).

To get it fast done I like to use:
1. the "Parallel with distance" tool, infinite line, distance 150,
2. then "Auto Trim" tool ... only one click ... and it's done!

But as we know - that doesn't works with the "Auto Trim" tool! What else can I do?
I could use:
1. "Parallel with distance" tool, regular line, distance 150 - unfortunately to short - needs more action to get it done.
2. "Parallel with distance" tool, ray, distance 150 - unfortunately works only in plus x or plus y direction - aside from that - needs also much more action to get it done.
3. "Move Copy" tool: Unfortunately I only know the +Y distance and I have now Idea how much I have to move it in minus X - means same problem - it need more steps to get it done.

Ok - I give up - maybe you know a better solution instead to use an infinite line with the Auto Trim tool ... 8)
If yes, please let me know!

Clive

Post by Clive » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:01 am

Parallel with distance tool will only give you a parallel line/entity of the same type - doesn't it?

I cannot find an absoulute fast way of reaching your goal, but there are many ways of acheiving it, all of them requiring one or two mouse clicks to get it done. Anyway Husky one or two mouse clicks will give your fingers exercise :) .

How about this for one method, using the property editor is a good tool to use.

1.Select line and use parallel with Distance tool
Pic 1.png
Pic 1.png (15.18 KiB) Viewed 15165 times
2.Set required distance and execute the command.
Pic 2.png
Pic 2.png (18.22 KiB) Viewed 15165 times
3.Select new line and change the X coordinate start point in the property editor (you could also change the line length to a 'minus' - number, e.g -50). Hit Enter.
Pic 3.png
Pic 3.png (12.02 KiB) Viewed 15165 times
4.Use 'Break Out' tool to clean up.
Pic 4.png
Pic 4.png (7.38 KiB) Viewed 15165 times
Yes a few clicks required, but hey it gets the job done :wink:
For the best support please state your operating system, QCAD version and add any supporting DXF/DWG files, screenshots etc...

Husky

Post by Husky » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Clive wrote:Parallel with distance tool will only give you a parallel line/entity of the same type - doesn't it?
No - not anymore! You are able to change the result of a parallel line to a ray or infinite line. Check the option bar .... :wink:
Clive wrote:... all of them requiring one or two mouse clicks to get it done. Anyway Husky one or two mouse clicks will give your fingers exercise :) .
I'm pretty sure we are talking about more than one or two clicks ...
Clive wrote:How about this for one method, using the property editor is a good tool to use ...
... Yes a few clicks required, but hey it gets the job done :wink:
Yes of course! But on the other hand: You can dig a basement hole for a house with a shovel or with an excavator - both methods will get the job done, right? 8)

Clive

Post by Clive » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:00 am

Husky wrote:No - not anymore! You are able to change the result of a parallel line to a ray or infinite line. Check the option bar .... :wink:
Ah yes, so you can, thanks, need to change my glasses :roll: .
Husky wrote:... Yes a few clicks required, but hey it gets the job done :wink:
Yes of course! But on the other hand: You can dig a basement hole for a house with a shovel or with an excavator - both methods will get the job done, right? 8)
Fair enough :)

J-J

Post by J-J » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:43 pm

Husky wrote: No - not anymore! You are able to change the result of a parallel line to a ray or infinite line.
I missed that too! quite handy indeed.
JJ Win7 pro-64

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Bug report at:
http://www.qcad.org/bugtracker/index.ph ... sk_id=1140

Quick fix at:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/qcad/ ... reakOut.js

Return to “QCAD 'How Do I' Questions”