Tutorial

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

Trunkles
Registered Member

Tutorial

Post by Trunkles » Mon May 19, 2008 4:15 am

Hi Folks.

I've been asked to source some sort of tutorial material for QCad (Community edition, if that makes a difference.)

The person who wants them is computer literate to some extent but has been using machines for under a year. He does NOT have internet access, nor can he get it (don't ask!). So any sort of electronic media would have to be in a form I could burn to CD for him. I tried looking on-line for books for him too, but with no success.

So... what tutorial resources are there and where please?

TIA

Simon.

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Mon May 19, 2008 8:28 pm

Hi Simon.

I learnt QCad from reading the manual that comes as a pdf download from Ribbonsoft. I highly recommend using someone like lulu.com to print and spiral bind a copy for you. They are very cheap, and require little knowledge of the internet, apart from how to upload a file.

There are also, of course many good books available teaching one how to be come a competent technical draughtsman. I've got some excellent ones from eBay, secondhand.

I hope that helps :)

Tom

(Of course I should have suggested that you could do this for your friend ;) Otherwise, try a library :D )
Macbook Pro 2.14gHz 10.5.5 (UNIX!)

Trunkles
Registered Member

Post by Trunkles » Tue May 20, 2008 2:50 am

Hi Tom and thanks, that's how I'd learn it too, if it was me doing it but I have little use for CAD myself. I do things with Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and the like. I did use AutoCAD for logic capture back in the mid-eighties but that was in a different life. :)

The PDF manual has already been printed and comb bound. The problem here is Dave's lack of knowledge with computers. He's fine with a drawing board and has been using one for a few years now, probably around 45 of them, he's 62! Until 6 months ago I can guarantee that he hadn't touched a computer before, so his user knowledge is limited to say the least!

Anyway, the point is that it isn't a tutorial on draughting or a tutorial on CAD in general that he needs but a tutorial on QCAD in particular.

I have no intention of trying to learn it myself and pass that knowledge on, not only do I not have the time, I can't teach for toffee!

Just wondering what the wink was for? Was it, perchance, that you think that Dave is actually me? :shock: Dave is 62, I am 52. Dave is a member of a Christian religious sect that proscribed computers until recently, I am an atheist who has been a software/hardware engineer for the last 28 years. So you couldn't have thought it was me. Only curious on that point, it isn't important. :lol:

I'd look in the library, but I very much doubt if there's anything on QCad in there.

Simon.

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Tue May 20, 2008 9:22 am

Hi Simon.

Like many other small shareware applications, there are no 'official books' per se on QCad I'm afraid- unless of course you'd like to write one? Publishing is a really expensive game (it is in fact my old profession, until I decided to get into 3D design). Again writing a book in a pdf format and uploading it to lulu.com is a pretty neat way of making high quality 'one-off's'. However, I learnt QCad by studying the manual, and reading library books on manual drawing- learning the difference between 1st and 3rd angle projection, chamfers, fillets and so on.

PS the wink I included, because I thought it was amusing that your friend both wants and doesn't want to use a computer both at the same time, and worst still, has asked you to do it for him! :lol:

My Father is 67, he recently dropped Linux on a PC for a Macintosh- because of ease of use (although he still has both the console and the terminal open! Bad habits die hard :lol:, he still doesn't understand that you can drag and drop, rather than copy and paste! :lol: ). He is a retired university professor, so I guess that does help too :)

My Mother, also 67 just won't touch any computer. I think that she thinks that it will explode or something while she's using it! So you have my sympathies.

To be honest, if you have already bound your manual you are one step closer to understanding how QCad works. It isn't very different from ACAD, so just use your knowledge of ACAD to explain to your mate about what layers and what entities are etc.

Okay?

best of luck!

Tom
Macbook Pro 2.14gHz 10.5.5 (UNIX!)

sara_criss

Hi,

Post by sara_criss » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:08 pm

check this one may be it helps u .....
http://unix-tutorial.blogspot.com/2007/ ... ional.html

Return to “Chat”