Saving on a Macintosh is all wrong. Please fix it!

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

ttrw

Saving on a Macintosh is all wrong. Please fix it!

Post by ttrw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:09 pm

Andrew, Michael,

The one thing that is really missing from QCad (and frankly also both bothers and annoys me), is how QCad's way of saving is so non-Mac on the Mac version.

For a start a very important element is missing from all windows in QCad, the black spot within the red 'close window' button, which is there to indicate that the drawing has not been saved yet.

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... b0PyTA.png

Secondly, the save window on Mac is very Windows- ie the buttons all across the top right hand side of the save window, offering options of being able to create a new folder, navigation etc. List view, detail view? what's that?- it's all wrong. Where's the Macintosh's excellent column view system gone??

I'm sorry to be picky, but standards are there to be kept, not broken, and many times I have found myself cursing QCad's save because of this, not being able to find something as quick as I normally would. I've also noticed (and this is probably a bug) that the existing save screen dosen't seem to recognise external usb sticks either.

Wrong way of saving;
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... H2gtx4.png

Correct way of saving (in/ on Macintosh)
http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... gZBMfn.png

Please will you fix this for us Mac users??

Kindest regards,

Tom Fenn
Macbook Pro 2.14gHz 10.5.5 (UNIX!)

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:03 pm

I should add that opening a file is no different.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Saving on a Macintosh is all wrong. Please fix it!

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:44 pm

ttrw wrote: Secondly, the save window on Mac is very Windows- ie the buttons all across the top right hand side of the save window, offering options of being able to create a new folder, navigation etc. List view, detail view? what's that?- it's all wrong. Where's the Macintosh's excellent column view system gone??
Thanks for your detailed input.
The Mac save dialog falls short in one point: it does not allow the user to choose a file type. Same goes for the file open dialog. This forces us to use the dialog that comes with Qt, the C++ toolkit QCad is based on.

I'm all for keeping standards, but unfortunately the Mac dialog out of the box is not suitable for QCad.

ttrw

Re: Saving on a Macintosh is all wrong. Please fix it!

Post by ttrw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:24 pm

andrew wrote: The Mac save dialog falls short in one point: it does not allow the user to choose a file type. Same goes for the file open dialog.
err?, Yes it does!!;

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... dHO1TB.png

and;

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... VV1kxi.png

(screenshots taken from the Intaglio application)

Perhaps the fault lies with the Trolltech framework? A bug??

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:29 pm

PS, as for the 'open' dialogue box, files that cannot be opened are greyed out leaving those which can be opened highlighted. Like this;

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?fi ... VsERzA.png

(screenshot taken from Solidworks' eDrawings. Image shows SLDPRT and DXF files highlighted only. Where does Windose ever do this eh?? :wink: :lol: )

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:30 pm

These people have obviously extended the save dialog (there are also other options in there that are not standard, e.g. "crop to content size"). We would have to write a significant amount of Mac only code to achieve that which unfortunately is not a priority right now.

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:40 pm

andrew wrote:We would have to write a significant amount of Mac only code to achieve that which unfortunately is not a priority right now.
Oh come on Andrew! So it is okay for us Mac users to have to put up with a significant amount of Windows-only code instead? I don't think that creating a simple save box is going to take a "significant amount of Mac only code". Most classes for the Trolltech framework that allow you to do this are already available on the internet. Anyway a save dialog box is just a graphical shell with a few radio buttons attached.

And what about the bug I found, concerning usb sticks, are you going to ignore that too? Don't become another Autodesk- please.

I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but I've been recommending QCad to many engineers and architectural practices over the past 3 years, including hundreds of email recommendations and that remark has just left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. :(

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:05 pm

ttrw wrote:So it is okay for us Mac users to have to put up with a significant amount of Windows-only code instead?
I can assure you that there is practically no Windows-only code or any other single platform code in QCad (may I ask what makes you think otherwise?). I am extremely reluctant to write any platform specific code.
ttrw wrote:I don't think that creating a simple save box is going to take a "significant amount of Mac only code".
I appreciate your opinion on that. My assessment on that is different.
ttrw wrote: And what about the bug I found, concerning usb sticks, are you going to ignore that too?
That might be a bug in the Qt toolkit. Please understand that we have a clear schedule with a focus on providing an advantage for a maximum number of users in a short time. If there is anything that prevents you from getting your work done, please let me know. If there is a large number of users complaining about the same thing, we will fix it.
ttrw wrote: I'm sorry for the harsh tone, but I've been recommending QCad to many engineers and architectural practices over the past 3 years, including hundreds of email recommendations and that remark has just left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. :(
No problem, point taken, thanks.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”