block behaviour

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

rdohmeier

block behaviour

Post by rdohmeier » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:06 pm

I would like to suggest that in future revisions,there be a behaviour option, to display blocks either in the layer hey are drawn in the block, or in the layer they are placed on the drawing.
I do architectural plans, and at present i have to have multiple versions of the same block drawn on different layers, say a door to be removed, a new door or an existing door.
Because all of these doors are in different locations on the plan, one could not just create one block with the different layers drawn 3 times over and manupulate layer display - it just would not work.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:46 pm

Try this:

1. Make sure the pen toolbar is visible.
2. In your block, create all (or some) entities with the attributes (color, line style, line width) set to "ByBlock".
3. Insert the block with all attributes set to "ByLayer".

The entities now inherit their attributes from the layer on which you place the insert. Switching on/off a layer will also switch on/off the inserts on it.

rdohmeier

block behaviour

Post by rdohmeier » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:23 pm

Thank you,
This works for colour and probably line weight, but not for line type (eg. dash, dot, continuous).

It is probably a bug. There are subtle differences on the attribute window between what appears for colour / linewidth and line style that may be clue as to why it does not work for line type.
Regards

Return to “Chat”