Is there any way of exporting a block to a dxf file?

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

mick

Is there any way of exporting a block to a dxf file?

Post by mick » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:16 am

As subject... :?

This appears to be something severely missing from qcad - unless I've missed something.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:22 am

No. However, you can edit the block, copy its contents to the clipboard and paste it into a new, empty drawing.

mick

Post by mick » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Ah-ha! Thanks.

I've just discovered that. I was looking for a way of getting some blocks off an existing drawing & adding them to the library. I've now managed a couple. in dxf format. I've not managed to do it by using export to create png files though. Pictures are created, but aren't viable in the library - not that it bothers me.

LinuxThis
Newbie Member

Same Problem

Post by LinuxThis » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:15 pm

Yep, I am trying to do the same thing, any png file is not recognized by the library browser that I put in the library and try to insert it. What format is Qcad using in its library items? For example the templates are in 64x64 png and only ~500 bits. But if I try to export a 'block', it is png 5,ooo bits big. And the my 64x64 version is unrecognizable.

Trying to copy a seperate dxf file and paste on to a new layer on my drawing does not do anything for me.

I am using linux.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:42 pm

The PNGs are created by QCAD automatically (they are generated to cache and speed up the preview).

To extend the part library, simply save your parts or symbols as normal drawings (without blocks) into a sub-directory of directory "library" of your QCAD installation.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”