resizing a library element

Use this forum to ask questions about how to do things in QCAD 2.1/2.2.

Moderator: andrew

legrostdg
Newbie Member

resizing a library element

Post by legrostdg » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:57 am

Hello!
I am trying to resize an element of a library.
I would like to draw doors of 80 and 90 cm.
The tool "changing the scale" doesn't seem very appropriated for this use since I don't know what is the factor from the original to the new dimension.
It should be great to resize the element by selecting and moving one dot of it.
(for example I would move my door in the 90cm whole in the wall and I would then resizing the door by moving one node of it)
Is it possible to do something like that?
Thank you very much :D

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:37 am

This is currently not possible. You might want to create one library item for every standard type / size of door you need.

mick

Post by mick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Isn't the "_stretch_" system supported any more, Andrew? I must admit, I haven't tried it.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:07 pm

mick wrote:Isn't the "_stretch_" system supported any more, Andrew? I must admit, I haven't tried it.
No. It was simply to complicated for the average user to understand.

mick

Post by mick » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:16 pm

What a pity. This is just the sort of application that could have used it! Mind you, it took Autodesk quite a long time to include parametric & dynamic blocks. They are still weird to set up too. :-)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Well, it might come back at one point if we can find a decent way to set it up and define the parameters.

legrostdg
Newbie Member

Post by legrostdg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:47 am

It should be great! Could you send a post in this topic if there is some new features concerning this issue?

legrostdg
Newbie Member

Post by legrostdg » Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:25 pm

A solution could be to select the original dimension (the library door width) and the new dimension (the door frame width) to calculate and to change automatically the scale factor (it is a little boring to do it by hand if I have a lot of different doors (probably I will not have my planning permission in this case :D)).
It seems very stupid, you surely have some good reasons not to implement it like that...
What was the principle of the "stretch" system?

mick

Post by mick » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:01 pm

As andrew says, it was a bit horrid!

Th idea was to produce special layers, which held only "cutting" lines. A "cutting" line was drawn across the object (e.g. the stem of a bolt) on this layer and the stretch took place at this point.

The layer name had to follow a fixed format e.g. "_stretch_lr_5". This means that items will be stretched (always at right-angles to the "cutting" line), the "l" means that you will be prompted for the length, the "r" means that the stretch will be to the right and the "5" means that existing length is 5 and that, if the user asks for, say, a length of 16 then 11 will be added.

I can see how this could quickly result in a load of unrecognizable layers - almost impossible to sort out if many objects are to be stretchable.
:lol:

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 'How Do I' Questions”