QCad 2.2.1.0 Professional unable to print custom sizes

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

juha_mustonen
Newbie Member

QCad 2.2.1.0 Professional unable to print custom sizes

Post by juha_mustonen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:31 am

I have reported this problem 17th July to Ribbonsoft but got so far no response. I first noticed this when trying to make a PDF export for a 297 mm x 630 mm page size. The application froze and I got no PDF file. Using standard page sizes worked ok.

There was something strange also in the preview window: I had drawn the drawing using meters as unit and 1:100 scaling. However in print preview window the scaling had to be set to 10:1 to fill the page. The units for custom page size in current drawing preferences seems to be always millimeters, but the odd scaling would IMO hint that the values are not interpreted correctly.

The same problems were present also when trying to print to file using real printer driver.

I have tried QCad both in Opensuse 10.3 and Windows XP with the same results.

Anyone else having the same problem? Any ideas how to get around the problem while waiting for real fix?

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:43 am

Unfortunately, this has been a problem of the underlying Qt library since ages. Custom sizes are shown in the printer dialog but not really supported at this point.

One way around it might be to scale up a standard size PDF or PostScript file with a PDF or PostScript utility.

juha_mustonen
Newbie Member

Post by juha_mustonen » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for the tip: I was able to get custom sized PDF in Windows by first creating PDF using sufficiently large standard page size and correct scale. After opening the PDF in Acrobat Reader I could create another PDF with custom page size using PDFCreator printer driver.

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:38 pm

Hi

yes I too am having a similar problem in Mac OS X Leopard. I don't have a problem with printing from and to A4, however printing an A3 (or any other size) results in a small section of the drawing only been shown (scaling up don't work).

Andrew, if this a QT problem, don't stand for it. You (we) are paying for Trolltech.
Macbook Pro 2.14gHz 10.5.5 (UNIX!)

Emmett
Registered Member

Ditto - Unable to print custom sizes.

Post by Emmett » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:59 am

Spent hours of time and lots of paper trying to print a custom size.
Guess I should have came to the forum sooner! :)

For what it's worth my system is: Mac OSX 10.4.11 (Tiger)

I will try the work around as described above and edit this post with results.

[edit] Nah, I give up, too much waste of time. Guess I will have to purchase a supported plotter or go back to pencil and ruler. :lol:

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:04 pm

Some good news about this: Apparently Qt supports custom paper sizes in its latest release and the next QCad release will also support them.

ttrw

Post by ttrw » Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:40 am

:D
Macbook Pro 2.14gHz 10.5.5 (UNIX!)

Emmett
Registered Member

hallelujah!

Post by Emmett » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:31 am

Break out the champagne. That is good news.
Couldn't find my ruler anyway. 8)

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”