about layers and printing

Do you have a question you want to ask an existing QCAD user about QCAD and what you can do with it? Do you want to know if a particular feature exists? This is the place to ask.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

kasper

about layers and printing

Post by kasper » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:33 pm

Hello there,

I am currenttly using the community version on Ubuntu linux for evaluation and I have a few questions:

My printer does not appear in the list [HP laserjet 1100]. I haven t encountered this problem with other applications. Is there something I need to do before being able to print?

Another question is about the layers. How can I see on what layer an object/line is stored. I think there is something I haven t found, but this is pretty essential.

Last one is about saving layer settings. It doesn t seem possible to save the settings of your layers. I used to work with almost hundred layers and for different drawings I need to switch of quite a lot of them. Is there a way to save these settings so you can later on return to other layer configurations?

Thanks in advance for looking to my quetions

andrew
Site Admin

Re: about layers and printing

Post by andrew » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:43 pm

kasper wrote: My printer does not appear in the list [HP laserjet 1100]. I haven t encountered this problem with other applications. Is there something I need to do before being able to print?
See:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/qcad ... ssage/1821
kasper wrote: Another question is about the layers. How can I see on what layer an object/line is stored. I think there is something I haven t found, but this is pretty essential.
Usually you can see that from the layer attributes. You can also see the layer and other properties in the property editor. The community edition does not have a property editor, please use the demo/evaluation version of QCAD for evaluation instead:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad_downloads.html
kasper wrote: Last one is about saving layer settings. It doesn t seem possible to save the settings of your layers. I used to work with almost hundred layers and for different drawings I need to switch of quite a lot of them. Is there a way to save these settings so you can later on return to other layer configurations?
Layer settings are stored with your drawing. The community edition does not store the visibility state of a layer - again: the demo version is that one you want to use to evaluate QCAD.

kasper

Post by kasper » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Hallo Andrew,

that is very fast thank you!

It is clear that I have to purchase a license; I will do asap.

So far I like it a lot. I read somewhere on the forum that you are planning a new version, is there already something scheduled?

Regards, Kasper

kasper

Post by kasper » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:36 pm

I found a new solution for Ubuntu Hardy Heron users to fix the printer problem:

first get 'root' by typing gksudo and enter your password

then type:

ln -s /var/run/cups/printcap /etc/printcap

this works fine and the printers appear in the list as they should.

regards, Kasper

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 am

kasper wrote: So far I like it a lot. I read somewhere on the forum that you are planning a new version, is there already something scheduled?
QCAD 2.2.2.0 is scheduled for Mid-September. This is only a minor update (bug fixes, printing to custom paper sizes).

QCAD 3 is scheduled for 2009.

Return to “Pre-sales Questions”