Hatch, block edit, screen layout and manual - (Resolved)

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

barjac

Hatch, block edit, screen layout and manual - (Resolved)

Post by barjac » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:52 pm

I recently purchased qCad and have found it excellent in most respects, however I am having a few problems.
1&4. When I try to use the hatch feature with a pattern, nothing is added to the drawing irrespective of scale. The log says "Hatch created successfully." The solid fill works fine if I ignore the manual and do it the way I would expect it to work. The manual says to start the hatch process before selecting the entities surrounding the area to be filled. This is impossible because the hatch button immediately pulls up the hatch properties screen - closing this produces the error "no contour selected".
I work around this by selecting the contours and then hit the hatch button. Still no patterns - only solid fill works. The patterns are there to select, so I assume that the patterns are in the path.
2. If I highlight a block in the block list and then hit the block edit button, a new window appears in which I can edit the block. So far so good.
There is nothing in the manual to say how to save this edit. I have found that simply changing back to the main drawing window seems to achieve this. However if I decide to re-edit the item by hitting the block edit button again, a blank window appears with no image. It seems that if a window exists for that block it is not re-opened for edit, rather a new blank window is produced.
Surely the existing edit window should be opened.
3. If I am using several side bars (block list, layer list, properties box etc) then I can suddenly find the command line missing off the bottom of the screen - the only way to get it back is to re-size the screen and run in that state between full screen and minimized that has no name! Is there a way to lock the screen layout once it is the way I want it? (as it has a mind of its own like a wobbly jelly when I try to drag things around)

Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.1 nVidia FX5600ultra
qCad Version: 2.2.1.0 [Professional]
Date: May 2 2008 Modules: Scripting
Qt Version: 4.3.4
Last edited by barjac on Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Hatch, block edit, screen layout and manual - four issue

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:04 am

barjac wrote:1&4. When I try to use the hatch feature with a pattern, nothing is added to the drawing irrespective of scale. The log says "Hatch created successfully." The solid fill works fine if I ignore the manual and do it the way I would expect it to work. The manual says to start the hatch process before selecting the entities surrounding the area to be filled. This is impossible because the hatch button immediately pulls up the hatch properties screen - closing this produces the error "no contour selected".
I work around this by selecting the contours and then hit the hatch button. Still no patterns - only solid fill works. The patterns are there to select, so I assume that the patterns are in the path.
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad_doc_faq.html#12

-> 12. I can't see any hatches / large texts / bitmap images.
barjac wrote:2. If I highlight a block in the block list and then hit the block edit button, a new window appears in which I can edit the block. So far so good.
There is nothing in the manual to say how to save this edit.
Simply close the block edit window.
barjac wrote: 3. If I am using several side bars (block list, layer list, properties box etc) then I can suddenly find the command line missing off the bottom of the screen - the only way to get it back is to re-size the screen and run in that state between full screen and minimized that has no name! Is there a way to lock the screen layout once it is the way I want it? (as it has a mind of its own like a wobbly jelly when I try to drag things around)
You might want to arrange some of these sidebars on top of each other as tabbed widgets to save space, since a lack of space seems to be the problem here. QCAD saves the arrangement of sidebars, etc. when the application is closed.
barjac wrote: Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.1 nVidia FX5600ultra
qCad Version: 2.2.1.0 [Professional]
Date: May 2 2008 Modules: Scripting
Qt Version: 4.3.4
You might want to download QCAD 2.2.2.0 which is compiled against a newer Qt version. That might also improve some things.

barjac

Post by barjac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks Andrew
The hatch problem was a scaling one. I had tried various scales but in the end it needed .005 which I had not been near, so the hatch (concrete chippings) were about a screen width apart and not visible.
The manuals still have steps 2 and 3 transposed which don't help!

The block edit problem is easy when you know - both the online and inbuilt manuals still don't explain this at all.

>>You might want to arrange some of these sidebars on top of each other as tabbed widgets to save space.

How? I can find no reference to this.

Also could you please supply a Mandriva Linux installable .rpm for future releases - like the community version in the Mandriva repositories ? This would save newcomers to Linux struggling with the installation.

Thanks,
Barry

Mandriva Linux Spring 2008.1
qCad Version: 2.2.2.0 [Professional]
Date: Aug 28 2008 Qt Version: 4.4.1
IIF(!broke,fixit(.f.),fixit(.t.))

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:25 pm

barjac wrote:How? I can find no reference to this.
Move a widget on top of another widget to combine the two into a tabbed set of widgets.
barjac wrote: Also could you please supply a Mandriva Linux installable .rpm for future releases - like the community version in the Mandriva repositories ? This would save newcomers to Linux struggling with the installation.
This is unlikely to happen. There are many Linux distributions and distribution versions and testing an RPM on all of these is simply not realistic for us.

barjac

Post by barjac » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:22 pm

>>Move a widget on top of another widget to combine the two into a tabbed set of widgets.
Neat!

>>This is unlikely to happen.
Pity - since Mandriva is one of the major distributions.

One other point - the "restrict horizontally" and "restrict vertically" buttons have the tooltips reversed. The one labelled restrict horizontally actually allows movement horizontally and restricts movement vertically.
They are also reversed in the snap menu.

Cheers - keep up the good work!
IIF(!broke,fixit(.f.),fixit(.t.))

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:01 pm

barjac wrote:One other point - the "restrict horizontally" and "restrict vertically" buttons have the tooltips reversed. The one labelled restrict horizontally actually allows movement horizontally and restricts movement vertically.
They are also reversed in the snap menu.
By 'restrict horizontally' we mean that the movement is restricted to a horizontal movement. But I can see how this could be misunderstood.
barjac wrote: Cheers - keep up the good work!
Thanks!

sara_criss

Hi,

Post by sara_criss » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:14 pm

i am new here and i have to say that i am getting lot of information ....this is really great forum ....

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”