Rotating an block causes it to be moved to the 0-layer

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

silaste

Rotating an block causes it to be moved to the 0-layer

Post by silaste » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:35 am

I created some custom library objects and have had problems using them. I am creating a draft of an electric guitar so I created a tuner block object and saved it to the library. When I insert it to my drawing on the parts-layer (yes it is active) and the try rotating it, it will be moved to the 0-layer. If I then move it back to the parts-layer via attributes, it will be on both the 0- and the parts-layer without beeing duplicated. Or at least thats my interpretation, since if I have the visibilty on for both layers and then switch either one of them off, the tuner-block will become invisible.

Other layer weirdness:

- Copying between documents will sometimes insert the copy-origin layer into the document that you are pasting into.

- Inserting a block from the library that has layers, will import those layers into the document.

- Removing layers from a document, will cause objects that are NOT on the that layer to disappear. A few times after deleting a layer and then trying to move an object, it just disappears (if I then set visibility on for all layers and do a select-all, QCAD will say "selected: 0") and then the background has turned red.
Ubuntu 7.10 | QCad 2.2.2.0

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Rotating an block causes it to be moved to the 0-layer

Post by andrew » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:30 am

silaste wrote:I created some custom library objects and have had problems using them. I am creating a draft of an electric guitar so I created a tuner block object and saved it to the library. When I insert it to my drawing on the parts-layer (yes it is active) and the try rotating it, it will be moved to the 0-layer. If I then move it back to the parts-layer via attributes, it will be on both the 0- and the parts-layer without beeing duplicated. Or at least thats my interpretation, since if I have the visibilty on for both layers and then switch either one of them off, the tuner-block will become invisible.
This problem might be related to your understanding of layers. See thread:
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/rsforum/viewtopic.php?t=434
silaste wrote: Other layer weirdness:

- Copying between documents will sometimes insert the copy-origin layer into the document that you are pasting into.

- Inserting a block from the library that has layers, will import those layers into the document.
Yes, this is expected behavior. May I ask what you expected to happen instead?
silaste wrote: - Removing layers from a document, will cause objects that are NOT on the that layer to disappear. A few times after deleting a layer and then trying to move an object, it just disappears (if I then set visibility on for all layers and do a select-all, QCAD will say "selected: 0") and then the background has turned red.
This is most likely the same problem as above: Note that entities inside a block are on a layer and block inserts are on a (potentially different) layer.
Last edited by andrew on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silaste

Post by silaste » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 pm

1) Ok. This is what I think happened. After I noticed that the layers of a library object will also get inserted into the document, I made all my library objects only on the 0-layer. When I inserted the library block on the parts-layer, I had the 0-layer visibility off. So when I subsequently rotated the insert it didn't get redrawn again since it resides on its origin-layer ie. 0-layer which was invisible.

2) I first thought that the inserting of a layer was erratic when copying between two documents, but I now realised that it was probably because I copied between two documents which had a layer with the same name (no new layer inserted) and also between two documents that did not share a layer with the same name (new layer got inserted).
I do find this unintuitive and undesirable. If the origin object (segment or whatever) is on one layer only, I would expect it to be inserted into the active layer of the destination document instead of dragging the origin layer along. If the copyed object would reside on several layers in the origin document, I would expect QCAD to ask whether I want the object flattened to the current layer in the destination document or if I would like to import the origin layers too and not have it flattened.

3) What do I expect when inserting a block from the library that has several layers?

I expected that it would be flattened and inserted into the currently active layer or as I said above: qcad could ask whether it should be flattened. Now it behaves kind of like a tarbomb. And since I can't insert it into the currently active layer, I won't be able to handle its visibility the way I intended.

I hope this rather long explanation makes somekind of sence ;o)
Ubuntu 7.10 | QCad 2.2.2.0

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”