Angle Direction

Please use this forum to post feedback and suggestions related to QCAD Professional.

Moderator: andrew

matty47
Newbie Member

Angle Direction

Post by matty47 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:12 pm

Well this did not get answered before I purchased Qcad Pro so I am asking here again.
Currently it appears that angles are measured counter clockwise with 0 degrees being horizontal to the "east". In Australia surveyors and civil engineers use angles (0-360degrees) measured clockwise from 0 degrees up ("north"). Is there a way to change the way angles are measured? Note that we haven't used Surveyors unites (N36E) for a long time.
Is it possible to change the direction of angle measurement ? If it isn't could this please be added to the feature request list?
Thanks for your tolerance
Matthew

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 am

No, this is not possible at this point. Thanks for the input, it will be added to the list of feature request.

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 am

Note that you can enter formulas into most text fields that expect a numerical value in QCad. So you could enter '90-angle' where 'angle' is an angle in the standard you are used to and the result is the angle that QCad interprets correctly.

acunningham
Registered Member

Post by acunningham » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:28 pm

I'd like to add my support for a configuration setting to allow angles to be entered compass style (0=top, 90=right, 180=bottom, 270=left).

gwood

Compass style Angles

Post by gwood » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:52 pm

I use QCAD mostly for mapping. I love many of the program's features, but as has already been suggested, it would be much handier if it were possible to configure North as Zero, East as 90, South as 180, and West as 270.

It would be handier yet, at least for me, if it were possible to enter a compass coordinate such as N893000E, and have QCAD interpret it correctly as 1/2 degree less than due East, or S450000W as being exactly halfway between South and West.

If anyone is interested, I built a simple spreadsheet I use to translate such coordinates into the angles understood by QCAD. Manual translation of any kind is time consuming, but my spreadsheet makes the process much quicker than otherwise.

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Suggestions and Feedback”