Creation of blocks

If you are having problems with QCAD 2.1/2.2, post here. Please report bugs here.

Moderator: andrew

J-J

Creation of blocks

Post by J-J » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:20 pm

I am running Qcad 2.2.2.0 under Windows XP Pro, SP3.
I have been quite confused with block creation, not as simple as explained in the book! Here's what I did as an example.
1- define "part" on several layers.
2- create block from "part" with reference point set in middle. Middle being at abs coordinates 100,100 in this case.
3- block named "part block"
4- save as "saved part block" in library
4- close all
5- re launch Qcad
6- find block "saved part block" in library
7- block is inserted, but with absolute zero as reference point!
8- block list then shows two blocks: "saved part block-0" and "part block".
9- subsequent insertions from either block behave differently: "saved part block-0" makes a copy with ref point at abs zero, therefore located at 100,100 whereas "part block" generates an insert with ref point correctly located at middle, as defined at block creation.
"saved part block" can be deleted from block list with no ill effect on subsequent inserts with "part block".

Sorry for the lengthy explanation, but I have not found another way to relate my difficulties in block management. Any comments will be appreciated.
Qcad is a great value program, quick to get started with.
JJ Win7 pro-64

andrew
Site Admin

Re: Creation of blocks

Post by andrew » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:56 pm

J-J wrote:2- create block from "part" with reference point set in middle. Middle being at abs coordinates 100,100 in this case.
This seems to be the problem. When creating a block for the part library, you don't create a block but a normal drawing and save that to the part library directory. When the part is inserted, it is inserted as block. See book, page 206, "Adding blocks to the library".

J-J

Post by J-J » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Thanks, it works, but I must locate the point chosen as reference to 0,0 before saving the drawing in the library.
Also, the item shows twice in the preview of the library...no big deal, but confusing.
JJ Win7 pro-64

Return to “QCAD 2.1/2.2 Troubleshooting and Problems”