is QCAD open-source or commercial/proprietary app?

Drop in here to discuss whatever you want.

Moderator: andrew

Forum rules

Always indicate your operating system and QCAD version.

Attach drawing files and screenshots.

Post one question per topic.

nitrofurano
Registered Member

is QCAD open-source or commercial/proprietary app?

Post by nitrofurano » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi!

I got to know about QCAD from the Ubuntu repository, which uses Debian repository, mostly based on open-source GPL apps - but when i visited ribbonsoft.com, we get the idea QCAD is a commercial and proprietary app...

Is QCAD open-source or proprietary? I confess i got extremelly confused with this...

cheers! =)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:51 pm

nitrofurano
Registered Member

Post by nitrofurano » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:45 pm

so does this mean QCad can be forked to a completelly different open-source project? (like using GTK or Motif instead, having other features like Autocad 3D files support, etc.?)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 pm

The QCAD community edition (QCAD version 2.0.5.0) is released under the GPL. Please refer to the GPL for details.

OldAl

Post by OldAl » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:24 pm

andrew wrote:The QCAD community edition (QCAD version 2.0.5.0) is released under the GPL. Please refer to the GPL for details.
Hi, Andrew!
Are you one of the developers of QCAD community edition?
BTW, I have received the printed paper copy of QCAD book, but have not had the time to study it yet.

OldAl.
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)

andrew
Site Admin

Post by andrew » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:24 pm

OldAl wrote: Are you one of the developers of QCAD community edition?
Yes. In fact there have been very little contributions from any other developers.

janif

Post by janif » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:52 pm

andrew wrote:
Yes. In fact there have been very little contributions from any other developers.
We Community Edition users appreciate a lot of your work. But could you please consider releasing a new version of It?

kantom
Registered Member

Post by kantom » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:49 pm

The community edition contains the source code of QCAD, released under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL)

"Sources are usually released some time after the professional editions"

What mean "some time" is that mean one year? :D

janif

Post by janif » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:27 am

kantom wrote:What mean "some time" is that mean one year? :D
Probably five. :)

Gooserider

Post by Gooserider » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:49 am

I'm guessing, but it looks to me like the QCAD community edition follows the old "Ghostview" model, where the GPL "Community Edition" follows one release version or so behind the "Pro Edition"... IOW, I would sort of expect that the next update of the Community Edition would happen about the same time the next update of the Pro version comes out...

Gooserider
beginner

janmanzer411
Registered Member

Post by janmanzer411 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:42 am

janif wrote:
andrew wrote:
We Community Edition users appreciate a lot of your work. But could you please consider releasing a new version of It?
Same here, a new version would be great.

Best Regards,
Jan Manzer

Kagami
Newbie Member

Post by Kagami » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:17 pm

andrew wrote:In fact there have been very little contributions from any other developers.
Well... I think that this is because QCad Community Edition uses outdated version of Qt - 3.3. 4.0 was released in 2005 and now there is almost none of developers who work with old version. To attract some contributors it is necessary to release at least 2.1.0.0. Also it would be nice to use some public repository with version control system so contributors can always obtain the newest version.
Another thing that disadvantages potential contributors is the releasing scheme. When new version of QCad will be released as Community Edition, what happened with a contributor's patch? Maybe it is better to release current version with less functionality (without scripting module, some export features, etc.). The positive effect than patches from community can be used in commercial version.
P.S. I'm very thankful to QCad developers for their work. And I understand that RibbonSoft is the one who decide what to do with QCad.

janif

Post by janif » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 am

It seems we're never going to get a new version of Community Edition, so someone else needs to port it to qt4. Actually I have such port, but it doesn't do anything useful yet.

Kagami
Newbie Member

Post by Kagami » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:11 am

Well... Some work was made in 2008 here, but this project is dead right now. And this is very sad :cry:

janif

Post by janif » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:55 pm

Kagami wrote:Well... Some work was made in 2008 here, but this project is dead right now. And this is very sad :cry:
But that's great someone has done something. If all would join together we would have excellent product.

Thanks for the link.

Return to “Chat”